Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Highlighted

Selective Sync returns "Unable to connect"

Helpful | Level 6

I'm trying to get Dropbox up & running at work, with firewall. Standard installation fails, however using the "Dropbox 19.4.13 Offline Installer.exe" I am able to succesfully install Dropbox and dropbox is able to connect to internet and starts happily downloading my files. However if I want to use "Selective Sync", it first shows "loading your folders", but after few seconds I get "Unable to connect".

So Dropbox seems to operate correctly, Proxy settings are set to "Auto-detect", but "selective sync" can't get through apparently... Is there something else I can try?

33 Replies

Re: Selective Sync returns "Unable to connect"

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Wim B.3,

Selective Sync works normally but may not work properly when you are using a Beta build.

Can you please make sure that you are not using the Beta version of the Dropbox app?  To do this, you will first need to follow these steps to verify that you have opted out of "Include me in early releases" option in your settings on www.dropbox.com .

This will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build:

1. Log in to www.Dropbox.com using your web browser.
2. Click on your name at the top right corner of the page.
3. Click on "Settings".
4. From the "Profile" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

Then, use the following link to install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application:

www.dropbox.com/downloading

Also pelase make sure to adjust your firewall settings to permit the desktop app internet access. Usually, adding Dropbox to a list of applications with internet access resolves the issue, read more here.

If you keep experiencing issues, so that our support team can investigate more on this, please go to www.dropbox.com/support and submit a ticket request.

Once you do, please let us know here with the ticket ID so that we can help.

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. What I'll first will do, try this at home (without firewalls). Since the default installer also fails to connect to the internet here, I have used the "Dropbox 19.4.13 Offline Installer.exe". That installs fine, and after setting my credentials, dropbox happily starts to sync all my folders, but selective sync complains that there is no conenction... It could perhaps that both mechanisms using different ports!? I'll keep you posted, but if @home it also doesn't work, I'll submit a ticket as you sugested.

Selective sync, "loading your folders..." massage and nothing OS X app

Helpful | Level 5

Hi there.
I have strange issue. when I am gonna use selective sync (go to Account -> Change Settings) Dropbox App cant load list of my folderes any more. see image

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2 (16C6smiling face with sunglasses
no updates before this.
I am also try to restart App and OS X several times...nothing same thing.

All other dropbox features works well.
Unfortunatly I cant reinstall DropBox App now its a banch of files using in daily work.
Any help?

Helpful | Level 5

Same issue for me running 21.3.19

Finally managed to get dropbox installed and running; however when I attempt to Selective Sync it immediately returns "Unable to connect"

Somehow it is requiring a different connection for this functionality? (That is perhaps restricted by the firewall on this work PC?)

Selective sync hangs and never show folders (dropbox v. 21.3.19)

Explorer | Level 4

I'm experiencing problems with my dropbox application (version 21.3.19) on Mac OS X (Sierra 10.12.3).

The problem is relatively recent for me; just last week I used Selective Sync without problems (didn't notice the version there so can't say if it has auto-updated in the meantime).

Other experiencing this issue and any update or solution to the problem?

Re: Selective sync hangs and never show folders (dropbox v. 21.3.19)

wk8 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Same problem - Lost all day trying to solve this. Can't work if I can't synch stuff and can't have it all on my computer or what's the point of a Cloud storage anyway?
I read and did all the things suggested on the help etc... link/unlink, add the code (I'm on Mac), etc, I deleted and downloaded the app all again from scratch. Nothing! Sent a request for help and they have the nerve to say that the answer will be in 24 to 48 hrs! for paying member (I've got the Pro so yes I pay) This "customer service" is pathetic. Rather inexistent all together! Disgusting.

wk8 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same problem -same system- plus I wrote an answer to this discussion a moment ago, and it's not even there? 

I tried everything, read and did all the options, Unlink/link again, write the code, deleted all the app and did all the uploading from scratch again, etc... nothing! 

Can't work without the sync, so I'm stuck! 

I wrote a request for support, and they say it will take 24-48 hours to answer -and that's for the paying members!!! This is very pathetic. Terrible customer care.  

Anybody has any answer? Is is a bug? A glitch? Thanks! 

Re: Selective sync, "loading your folders..." massage and nothing OS X app

wk8 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Exactly the same! exactly! and I've tried everything even deleting the app and reinstalling again. Don't bother with it: It did not improve at all. Actually now it's not even saying "loading your folders"; when I click preferences it does NOTHING at all - it does not even open the Account window anymore.
And don't count on their support... 24 to 48 hrs to answer - and I'm a paying member! so I'm really really disgusted!
Any help?

Super User II
As this is a beta issue you really should post on the beta threads where its more likely to get a reply: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-21-3-19/m-p/208179#M3724

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Selective Sync returns "Unable to connect"
33 Replies
15 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post