cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync versus Smart Sync configuration

Selective Sync versus Smart Sync configuration

Gayle1402
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I feel that something simple is doing my head in. Sorry in advance for what is probably a dumb question.

I've just migrated my system to a new Mac Mini. So far, so good. All documents in the DB folder are there and working.

Now, I want to save HDD space so all documents, shared folders, the whole thing, I want to be online.

So I want to Smart Sync.

Do I have to now, folder, by folder, right click and choose "Online Only"?

I went into Preferences > Sync and I can see "Start as Local and Start as Online Only". I assume this means all new files will be automatically online the minute I hit save, right?

But Selective Sync... what do I do with that? Should they all be ticked or should they all be unticked for my purposes? 

As I say it should be easy but I think my brain is in a circular sync at the moment!

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No worries, Gayle, I can help clarify this for you!

Firstly, with selective sync, make sure all folders are ticked. This means that literally every folder will sync to your machine.

If they were unticked, there would be no sign of the folders on your machine, and they would be ‘unsynced’.

The ‘start as online-only’ applies for all new files, so make sure that is selected.

However, for the existing files on the machine, you do as you said, right click the folders, Smart Sync, and choose Online-only.

When all your files have the gray cloud icon, you’ll know that it’s working!

Let me know if you need any further assistance. 🙂

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No worries, Gayle, I can help clarify this for you!

Firstly, with selective sync, make sure all folders are ticked. This means that literally every folder will sync to your machine.

If they were unticked, there would be no sign of the folders on your machine, and they would be ‘unsynced’.

The ‘start as online-only’ applies for all new files, so make sure that is selected.

However, for the existing files on the machine, you do as you said, right click the folders, Smart Sync, and choose Online-only.

When all your files have the gray cloud icon, you’ll know that it’s working!

Let me know if you need any further assistance. 🙂

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Gayle1402
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Wonderful. Thank you so much for clarifying. Really appreciate it! :grinning:

marliesP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear Jay, 

Quick question about this. 

Where should ik see the 'smart sync' options when trying to smart sync the excisting select. synced folders? In Finder (for mac) or only on the online version? 

Thanks 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
You’ll only see the options for Smart Sync in Finder, since each setting is specific to the machine. 

Therefore, you could have all files online-only on a MacBook since there might not be enough space, but on another Mac you could have all files as local, since they have plenty of space.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Sivartis
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have to say, this is really confusing.  My goal with Smart Sync is to have every file available and visible, but online only, unless I've used it in the last couple months.  (or one, or three, whatever - this should be customizable).  

I've been using Selective Sync on a computer that didn't have enough space for all my dropbox folders.  When I enabled Smart Sync, suddenly all my folders were visible and previously invisible folders were now visible and online-only!  Hooray!  I hadnt' changed any options with Selective Sync.  But I still had all my selective sync folders living offline on my computer and taking up unneccessary space.  Boo...  

So it seemed to make sense to go into Selective Sync and uncheck all the folders... but HUGE BOOO, it removed all signs of every folder, even "offline only" folders. 

So I had to go back in (all the while, Smart Sync is ON) and go BACK into Selective Sync and activate every folder, which is now doing some syncing thing where all the folders have the blue syncing symbol. Shouldn't most of them be offline-only if I havent' been using them (and most of them I haven't) and thus be instantly synced to my new Smart Sync-enabled laptop??

<sigh>

Come on, Technology. Get it together.

~Travis

Dropppppp311
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have this exact issue today, with version 74.4.115

My computer has been syncing for 2 days and getting nowhere. It says that it is syncing 266000 files, but not making progress. I set smart sync to online only, and set auto space saving to off.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dropppppp311 Helpful | Level 5
    Sivartis Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    marliesP New member | Level 2
    Gayle1402 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?