cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Selective sync on Android? (Dropbox newbie)

Selective sync on Android? (Dropbox newbie)

Jeff K.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've just installed Dropbox on my Android phone & there doesn't seem to be a preferences section in settings so I can't see how to set up 'Selective Sync'.

Any ideas anyone?

14 Replies 14

agreenhart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

On the app, I belive there's no "selective sync" option like there is on your computer's hardrive, but there's ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION. You can add an additional security layer by locking the Dropbox app seperately. So even if the phone is unlocked, you'll need an additional passcode to open the Dropbox app specifically. 

How To:

1. Open the Dropbox app

2. Select the 3 horiztonal lines (depending on the app version, it's usually top left)

3. Select the gear icon (top right)

4. Select "configure passcode"

5. Select "turn passcode on"

6. It will then prompt you to enter your phone's secruity passcode. You may also use fingerprints should your phone have the capability (if you'd like this, then after Step 5, go back in and select "fingerprint unlock"

NOTE-- if you want your Dropbox passcode to be different than the phone's unlock passcode, then after completing the above steps, go back to Step #4 and then select ""Change passcode." This will change the Dropbox passcode only (not the phone's). 

Hope this helps!! 

FoodforOrphans
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Unfortunately this only addresses one issue being discussed. The other is, how can we save space on Android hard drive?

Vernon
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there!

1. Removing access to files in the mobile app: The mobile app, by default, shows the same files as www.dropbox.com. They are both very similar to the way they work, except for that fact that you can favorite things in the mobile app. Dropbox doesn’t offer the option to apply Selective Sync to either of them. 

However, this is a very interesting case. Are you the only person that uses the mobile device? If yes, there shouldn't be a problem with having all your files in Dropbox. If you are a Business user you can also connect your personal account and separate your files between the two accounts.

2. Saving space on Android drive: As Ed previously mentioned, files do not take up space from your mobile device, unless you mark them as "Offline". If you have files in your device that take up space, what you can do, is upload them to Dropbox and then have them deleted from your mobile device's drive.

Also, did you know that you can use the "Clear cache" feature to save some more space on your phone? -->https://help.dropbox.com/mobile/android-app-fixes#cache

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I answer your question?---> Accept as Solution White check mark :nerd:
Kudos are always welcome! :bacon:

TreborG2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Vernon wrote:

2. Saving space on Android drive: As Ed previously mentioned, files do not take up space from your mobile device, unless you mark them as "Offline". If you have files in your device that take up space, what you can do, is upload them to Dropbox and then have them deleted from your mobile device's drive.

Vernon & Ed, but are you talking about this off line from the perpective of the app on the phone?

Or do you mean a setting that gets applied from the application install on your PC's?

I'm going through this issue now, because I found (according to android / storage on the phone itself) that it was using 1.2 gigs of space on my phone.  I certainly never selected to have a specific folder that's on my desktops to be set as "off line" on the phone yet there the data was.

Its what got me angry enough to remove the app from my phone, and start looking for alternatives.  I mean call me dim if you like, but if the issue were crystal clear it would have less chance of getting people to the state of uninstalling it, freeing up space and cursing the code dropbox was born from!

You can say "well when you go to mark something 'offline' it warns you" but that wouldn't matter nor count if the user didn't select to "off line" some data to their phone. 

Just like the OP, if it were more clear we wouldn't be here looking fix this or looking for how this is supposed to work!  :-[

healthycan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So do I, Michael S.55. I work in a hospital and I just want to have access to my "medical notes" folder in my mobile device, I don't want even see any other folder. Selective sync or an alternative way to do so should be available. I hope DB development team take note of this.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?