cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective sync on Android? (Dropbox newbie)

Selective sync on Android? (Dropbox newbie)

Jeff K.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've just installed Dropbox on my Android phone & there doesn't seem to be a preferences section in settings so I can't see how to set up 'Selective Sync'.

Any ideas anyone?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vernon
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there!

1. Removing access to files in the mobile app: The mobile app, by default, shows the same files as www.dropbox.com. They are both very similar to the way they work, except for that fact that you can favorite things in the mobile app. Dropbox doesn’t offer the option to apply Selective Sync to either of them. 

However, this is a very interesting case. Are you the only person that uses the mobile device? If yes, there shouldn't be a problem with having all your files in Dropbox. If you are a Business user you can also connect your personal account and separate your files between the two accounts.

2. Saving space on Android drive: As Ed previously mentioned, files do not take up space from your mobile device, unless you mark them as "Offline". If you have files in your device that take up space, what you can do, is upload them to Dropbox and then have them deleted from your mobile device's drive.

Also, did you know that you can use the "Clear cache" feature to save some more space on your phone? -->https://help.dropbox.com/mobile/android-app-fixes#cache

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I answer your question?---> Accept as Solution White check mark :nerd:
Kudos are always welcome! :bacon:

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Alan L.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

As far as I know no files are actually downloaded to your device until you 'Favorite' them. If you want offline access to a file tap the dropdown to the right of the filename and select Favorite. This will keep a permanent copy of the file on your device for offline use, and will sync back when you next go online. Not quite the same as selective sync on the desktop but saves space on your device.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yep, that's an option as Alan said. If you're talking about pics/videos, you can also use Carousel to have them saved only on Dropbox and free up space on your Android.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Merrily T.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

just wondering how to use carousel

and to see if it is per device or just all or nothing.

Josephus F.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thus spoke Alan L_ "As far as I know no files are actually downloaded to your device until you 'Favorite' them. "
I use Google Drive and there is no need to "Favorite" (i e star) them
I only need to manually move the files or folders to the GDrive folder, or Upload on the web
The files appear automatically in GDrive in my Samsung Tablet
I think that is a lot easier than the procedure with DB.
You can do selective syncing in GDrive too but that is another procedure.

Michael S.55
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

LIkewise I'd like to know how to selectively exclude folders from my mobile device.  This is not just about bandwidth or local storage space - this is a security issue;  My clients use dropbox to share some sensitive files that I don't wish to have (or even see the names of) on my numerous easily lost/stolen mobile devices.

Michael S.55
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Josephus F. Why did you post instructions for using Google Drive in a dropbox help forum?

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Michael - the Dropbox files are not stored on your mobile device by default. You would need to manually make them available offline to have them saved. More info here: https://help.dropbox.com/mobile/access-files-offline

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Matthew M.15
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I echo Michael S.'s concern.  I am using my dropbox partly for business, and therefore on my business device I only want my business-related folders to display.  So far I don't see a way of doing this...

carol m.20
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Would like to continue to use dropbox without needing to remove duplicate photos synching from the cloud onto phone.   Another question - how to restore a vanished file containing photos which was unshared and is not showing up in deleted files?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

carol m.20 New member | Level 1
    Matthew M.15 New member | Level 2
    Ed Dropbox Staff
    Michael S.55 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?