Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Separate DB on my PC from DB in cloud

Level 2

Business account. I have more or less 130GIG on my hard drive on my PC (and ~130GIG on the cloud), so, (I forget the exact name for the setup but) I have all my files in both places - the cloud and my hard drive.
I'm retiring and want to give up the flexibility of shifting files to and from storage. Can't I just pay my last month, quit and I'll still have all my files on my hard drive?

BTW, I have had no problems with DB in all the years I've used it. As well, I've tried to and succeeded at getting people to use it!

1 Reply

Re: Separate DB on my PC from DB in cloud

Dropboxer
Hey there @StephenB2,

If you are wanting to cancel your business subscription and make sure all your files are available locally on your computer, then we will need to check 2 things.

The first would be if you have files synced as “online only” with Smart sync. Your files/folders will appear with a small grey cloud icon next to them instead of a green tick. To make these files local on your computer, you can select your files/folders and right click on them (or command+click for Mac) and then choose from the menu “Smart sync - local”. This might require a little time to complete as the app will need to sync those files back down to your computer.

Secondly, we should check the Selective sync settings. This feature allows you to choose certain folders to not sync to your computer and be available only on the web. To access these settings please follow the steps in the spoiler below:

More information
  1. Click the Dropbox icon from the system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the gear icon in the top right. 
  3. Select Preferences… from the menu.
  4. Click on the Sync tab
  5. Click on Selective Sync...
  6. Make sure all folders are checked (or check the “Select all” option)

Once the desktop app is showing that it is “Up to date” you can be sure that all your files are available on your hard drive. If you would like to continue using your Dropbox account after cancelling the subscription, I can suggest moving the content of your Dropbox folder to another location on your hard drive. This will remove the files from your Dropbox account but keep them safe in your hard drive.

Let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Separate DB on my PC from DB in cloud
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post