cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared folder only available online, not on desktop

Shared folder only available online, not on desktop

lariv
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! I have a shared folder with a collaborator. I can access this folder when I log into the website, but it does not appear on my desktop no matter what I do. I've tried rebooting, synching, and checking the permissions. Every time, it appears in my folders online but again not on my desktop. Would love any advice or suggestions. Thanks! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @lariv, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

There's a few things that we can check here, the first would be to check if the folder has any "bad characters" in the folder name. Certain characters are not able to sync to certain OS, so removing any of the characters listed in our article here from the folder name should allow it to sync. 

Also, I'd recommend checking your selective sync list through the desktop app preferences. If you haven't changed these preferences then by default the folder should sync. However it's always worth checking and ruling out, with the steps outlined here.

If the above doesn't seem to help with your issue, then please just let me know the current sync status of your desktop app along with the version that you're running.

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @lariv, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

There's a few things that we can check here, the first would be to check if the folder has any "bad characters" in the folder name. Certain characters are not able to sync to certain OS, so removing any of the characters listed in our article here from the folder name should allow it to sync. 

Also, I'd recommend checking your selective sync list through the desktop app preferences. If you haven't changed these preferences then by default the folder should sync. However it's always worth checking and ruling out, with the steps outlined here.

If the above doesn't seem to help with your issue, then please just let me know the current sync status of your desktop app along with the version that you're running.

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lariv
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you! It was indeed the filename.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad we got to the bottom of it @lariv!

Please don't hesitate to give me a nudge here if you have any other questions or issues, I'd be more than happy to help. :grin:

I hope you've had a great start to the week so far - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Emily92
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! 

For some reason, one particular Folder is not syncing to the desktop app. I thought it was just a localized issue on my end but a coworker recently reached out and experiencing the same issue. All looks normal through the website and the folder is accessible but it simply does not exist in the app or within the Dropbox extension in the file explorer. I checked the settings for smart sync and selective sync and there is the little green check mark indicating that it should be synced. Do you have any ideas?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Have you ensured that there's no incompatible character in the folder's name @Emily92?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Emily92
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I did. I added "(1)" after the file name and that worked for some reason! So strange

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to see you managed to resolved it in the end, Emily.

Let us know if you come up with any other Dropbox question in the future; we'll be one post away!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Emily92 New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?