Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Sharing a Dropbox file without access to all of my Dropbox files

Explorer | Level 3

I would like to find out how to share a video from my Dropbox without the individual being able to see all of the files in my Dropbox account.

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Sharing a Dropbox file without access to all of my Dropbox files

Super User II

A person will only be able to see the specific item(s) you share with them. They cannot see the other files in your account. If you've created a link to a file and you're testing it yourself, YOU will see everything else in the account because you're logged in. Test the link in another browser where you're not logged into Dropbox and you'll see what everyone else will see.

Explorer | Level 3
I e-mailed the link to myself and looked at it on another device and was able to see the file and could still see other photos etc. in my Dropbox. Still puzzled.

New member | Level 2
Thanks! I sent you a Kudo; clear and simple answer and instructions.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/forums/postpage/category-id/101001000]

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Super User II

winmkt2 wrote:
I e-mailed the link to myself and looked at it on another device and was able to see the file and could still see other photos etc. in my Dropbox. Still puzzled.

And were you logged into Dropbox on that device? If so, you'll see everything else in your account because you're logged in and it's your own link. Use a browser's incognito or private mode to be certain.

A person will only see the specific file or files that you've linked to.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Sharing a Dropbox file without access to all of my Dropbox files
5 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post