Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Sharing a folder from a dropbox Plus account with a free account

New member | Level 2

I have a dropbox Plus account and wanted to share a folder with a person that has a free account. That works to a point, but now the person with the free account receives the message that they can only view if they buy more space themselves.

I want the person to be able to upload some pictures to my account/shared folder.

Do I need to ask the person to share his files/photos with me via a file transfer site rather than to just allow her to open my shared folder, move the photos in there and give me "instant Access" or can this be solved somehow within my current plan?

2 Replies

Re: Sharing a folder from a dropbox Plus account with a free account

Advanced Collaborator | Level 16

Hi @Parkosidis,

Seems You are in a scenario that Dropbox prevent free accounts stacking. The folder You shared seems bigger than 'free account' capacity. Overcome could be (as You note) the 'free account' to share directory or (another option) You can share another directory containing less (only absolutely need) files inside.

Hope this helps.

Re: Sharing a folder from a dropbox Plus account with a free account

Super User II

@Parkosidis wrote:

... now the person with the free account receives the message that they can only view if they buy more space themselves.

The space used by a shared folder is counted against the quota of all members of the share. In order to hold a shared folder in their account, they need to have enough available space for the folder and all its content.

... can this be solved somehow within my current plan?

You could send them a File Request. That will allow them to upload directly to your account without taking up space in their own. In fact, they don't even need an account.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Sharing a folder from a dropbox Plus account with a free account
2 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post