Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Sharing an external folder with a team

New member | Level 2

Hallo, could someone outside our team share his folder with our team, not individual members? If so, how could it be done, please? Or is there any way how to move individually shared folder to one member into a team folders? 

Tags (1)
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Sharing an external folder with a team

Dropboxer

Hey there @Spilberk - how are you today?

As this person is outside of your team's account, the best way to do this would be to have them include the emails of all of your team's members when first creating/sharing the (shared) folder in question.

Note that team members and admins may move a shared folder into the team space as long as the following requirements are met:

1. The user has edit access to the folder they are trying to move. To check this, follow these steps:
    a. Click “Manage” to the right of the folder
    b. See “Can edit” to the right of the individual user or group

2. The “Manage access” setting is set to “Folder members”. To check this, follow the steps below:
    a. Click “Manage” to the right of the folder
    b. Click “Folder settings”
    c. See “Folder members” from the dropdown next to “Manage access”

3. The folder is owned by someone on the same team as the user who is moving it into the team space (if you're on our new team account's structure) or into the team folder (if you're on the old structure). 

Just note that moving a folder to the top level of the shared space is only allowed if the setting which allows top level folder editing has been enabled.

If you are an admin and wish to allow other members of your team to move folders into the top level of your team's space, you can update the setting on the following page in the Admin Console: https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/settings/management

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Well, I'm the admin but I don't have edit access to the shared folder. The folder was shared by our external co-worker with my email and I saved the folder to my personal Dropbox just before we setup a Bussiness plan.

When I try to move that shared folder to our Team space, it says "Move shared folder to the SPILBERK team space?" and when I click on "Move anyway", it says "This operation isn’t permitted."

Basicaly I was wondering if someone outside our team could share his folder with our team by simply adding our team contact and not emails of our every each member?

Dropboxer

No, that won't be possible at the moment @Spilberk  - thanks for showing your interest in this functionality though; I'll make sure to pass your comments on to our product team.

In regards to the error you get, could you send me a screenshot in order to have a better view of the matter at hand? 

Have you also made sure that the aforementioned requirements for this move are met? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Sharing an external folder with a team
3 Replies
0 Likes