Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Sharing and storing videos for work and family, from Adobe Lightroom to grandkids’ sporting games

Community Manager

19388321_10155756800226756_5581098714925543149_o.jpg

Meet George, a freelance photographer and grandfather who uses Dropbox for work and family. This is George’s story…

What brought me to Dropbox
I originally came to Dropbox because I am a freelance photographer and needed a place to backup my images and share large image files by email. But I've also found ways to use Dropbox to share videos and pictures with my family.

How I use Dropbox
The features that have helped me most are the automatic backup of my image and video library, and also the ability to share links so that my family can view, edit and download image and video files.

Typically I import image and video files of my grandchildren's sporting games from my camera(s) to Sony PM Home, and from there to a folder on Dropbox. Then I send a link to my grandsons for them to download and edit, so they can share on YouTube and MaxPrep (a high school sports network). 

I import non-family images and videos to my Adobe Lightroom catalog on a hard drive connected to my computer(s). I then import images and video, which were directly imported to Dropbox, back down to my Lightroom catalog. Finally, with the help of another third party software named GoodSync, I automatically backup my Lightroom catalog to Dropbox. 

Tips for the community
  • Understand your space requirements and make sure your other software can communicate with Dropbox.
  • Setup is the most challenging. After the initial setup your workflow becomes automatic.

Do you use Dropbox in a similar way? Have questions for George about their workflow? Reply below with your thoughts!

Tags (1)
6 Replies

Re: Sharing and storing videos for work and family, from Adobe Lightroom to grandkids’ sporting game

Helpful | Level 7
Hi,
I'm the author of the story. If you have direct questions feel free to leave them here and I'll do my best to answer timely.
Happy Holidays

Re: Sharing and storing videos for work and family, from Adobe Lightroom to grandkids’ sporting game

Dropboxer

Thank you for sharing your story with the community, @George J.1! Happy holidays to you, as well!

I have a follow up question for you. It sounds like you have a detailed process for Dropbox and Adobe Lightroom. I wonder if there are any integrations that could help streamline things, whether for your work photos or family videos. Have you considered exploring integrations or found any integrations to be helpful? 

Helpful | Level 7
Hi and thank you for the response. I took a look at the link you sent and am impressed at the line of integration partners available. At this time I don't see any partners listed that I would be in need to use. However, with the recent changes to the Flickr platform, especially for Pro account members, I would like to see ability to integrate my workflow from Dropbox to Flickr for clients and family to make it easier for me to deliver a product. Does Dropbox have any plans to develop a partnership with Flickr?

Dropboxer

Hi George! I hope you'll find an integration that works for you now and into the future! I'm unable to speak to firm plans to develop a partnership with Flickr, but it's helpful to know that's something you'd be interested in. At this time you may find something in Zapier that meets your needs for a Dropbox/Flickr integration. Also, depending on your technical abilities, you may also want to explore using the Dropbox API to create an integration of your own! 

Helpful | Level 7
Hi AlexisL,
Thanks for the tip. I already use API to autosync my photo files to Dropbox. The API is created automatically by GoodSync between my external drive and my Dropbox account. I'll have to check to see if GoodSync can do the same with Flickr. However, I use a different filing structure (folders and groups) on Flickr than I do on my local database so I would need to explore realigning files already on Flickr with my current local structure or completely remove the current Flickr files and then resync the files using GoodSync. Based on response I Dropbox doesn't have the ability to sync directly to Flickr.
Regards,
George

Dropboxer

Hi @George J.1! It sounds like you have a sophisticated setup! I think your story and follow up comments will be very informative for people who are looking to do something similar in Dropbox. Thank you for devling in with us here.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you or if you have follow up thoughts you'd like to explore here in the community. We encourage you to chime in on other conversations where you think your expertise could add value or you'd like to ask questions, as well.

Be well and happy holidays! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Sharing and storing videos for work and family, from Adobe Lightroom to grandkids’ sporting games
6 Replies
19 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post