cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I move files out of my Dropbox folder before cancelling my account?

Should I move files out of my Dropbox folder before cancelling my account?

lindacue
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Prior to canceling my account, should I move my local dropbox files out of the local dropbox folder and put them in my documents folder on my Mac? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me @lindacue!

Your local Dropbox folder and account online should be the same, as the desktop app syncs any changes in one location to another.

When you cancel your subscription, the files in your account won't be affected but the app won't be able to sync if you're over the 2 GB free Basic storage limit.

You could leave the files as they are in the local Dropbox folder and even just unlink and uninstall the desktop app. The Dropbox folder will just be like any other folder on your computer then, with no link to your account online.

Keep me posted with any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @lindacue, thanks for reaching out to us here!

If you want to keep the files on your computer and remove them from Dropbox, you can indeed move the files from the Dropbox folder to any other location on your computer.

I'd just like to note, if any of your files are Smart Synced as "online only" with a grey cloud icon, then please make sure to make them Local :white_check_mark: first and allow them to sync.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lindacue
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have my cloud dropbox and my local dropbox folder. If I just leave my files in the local dropbox folder, will they still be fine when I cancel my dropbox account?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me @lindacue!

Your local Dropbox folder and account online should be the same, as the desktop app syncs any changes in one location to another.

When you cancel your subscription, the files in your account won't be affected but the app won't be able to sync if you're over the 2 GB free Basic storage limit.

You could leave the files as they are in the local Dropbox folder and even just unlink and uninstall the desktop app. The Dropbox folder will just be like any other folder on your computer then, with no link to your account online.

Keep me posted with any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Mainah65
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am don'e paying $700+ for drop box I haven't used in over a year.  How do I cancel Drop box BUT not lose my files? I need to move them to a local folder on my laptop.  HOW?   PLEASE I AM OLD, STEP BY STEP.. computer not mac. 

Mainah65
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

HOW DO I MAKE THEM LOCAL>?????  I am paying $700+ for drop box and don't even get a home page, just a page that opens to the files..>ZERO else.... and I cna't DO anything with them!  HELP!!   I want to MOVE them to LOCAL FOLDER on my computer ONLY.... NO DROP BOX.  WHY CAN"T I??? 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Mainah65, I'd be happy to help out with this!

There's two methods I can suggest here for downloading your files locally to your computer.

The first is to just download the folders directly from the website, you can find the exact steps for this here.

The other option is to download the desktop app which will sync your files from your account online to a folder it creates on your computer. You can find out more info about this from here.

Also I'd just like to note, if you cancel your subscription then the files in your account won't be removed. Your account will simply be reverted to the free Basic account.

While the free account does have a space limit of 2 GB, if you have more data than this then again nothing will be deleted. You just won't be able to upload new files or save edits to the files in your account.

In this case, you can just download the folders directly from the web as mentioned above, and then delete the folder from your account online afterwards to free up some space.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions about this!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Mainah65 New member | Level 2
    lindacue New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?