Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Smart Sync Online Only files don't appear in file explorer searches, any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

I discovered today that when I search in Windows Explorer to find a file that is Online-Only, the search fails to find the file- even when I am in the folder that it is in! A search finds the Local files with no problem. Is this correct or should I be able to find the file regardless of whether it is a Local File or On-Line only?

5 Replies

Re: Smart Sync Online Only Files still using disc space

Dropboxer
Hey there @ToniM,

Just out of curiosity, have you tried searching for files using the desktop tray search bar? You can find this by clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray and the search bar appears along the top of the window.  

Regarding searching through the file explorer, can you let me know which Windows OS version you are using? From what I know, you should be able to see smart synced files in the results of a search. 

Let me know - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3

Daphne,

Thanks for getting back with me!

I hadn’t tried using the desktop tray search bar and when I tried it the file did show up! But searching through explorer still didn’t work, even after trying a shut down to see if it had opened with a glitch.

I am sure I have been able to find any file I wanted previously, whether Online or local. This seems to have happened since I did the Dropbox update yesterday.

My OS version in 7 pro.

Dropboxer
Hey again @ToniM,

I did a little more digging into this and was able to find a previous thread explaining this issue. As it stands, being able to search file names of online only files via the file explorer is available on Window 8 and above

Unfortunately, the version of Windows OS you are using doesn’t have the functionality to search placeholder files, which is what an online only file is. I understand this isn’t exactly what you were looking for, so I’m glad to hear that searching via the desktop tray worked perfectly for you here.

Hope this helps to clarify the matter - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

This apparently has been caused by the recent update! If I had known it would ruin my use of Dropbox, I wouldn't have updated. We have a very large collection of photos as well as documents and we need the ability to search for files that haven't been opened for quite some time, and therefore don't need to take up much needed space on our hard drives. Often we know the photo that we are looking for but aren't sure what the name of the file is so we can enter a name that we think it might be and be able to see multiple files with that name, large enough to be able to see if we have the correct photo. Using the desktop search bar only allows me to see tiny thumbnails.

We have at least 3 Windows 7 computers including mine (this is a small historical society with limited funds) and mine is fairly new and isn't going to be replaced for possibly years!

Is this issue going to be addressed any time soon, or is there any way for us to go back to the previous version of Dropbox?

Dropboxer
Hey again @ToniM,

It’s interesting that you mentioned that this function was working for you previously. As explained in the thread I linked in my previous reply, it is a limitation of the OS rather than Dropbox to be able to search placeholder files. thinking face

If you’d like to try reverting back to a previous version of the desktop app then you can check out our builds page here. I’d suggest using a stable version over a beta, but in general we do recommend to use the most up to date stable version of the app as it contains the most recent fixes and security updates. Are you using a beta version perhaps (denoted xxx.3.xxx )?

I’ll be more than happy to assist you with this, let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync Online Only files don't appear in file explorer searches, any ideas?
5 Replies
0 Likes