Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Smart Sync doesn't work for Logic Pro files

Level 2

I'm experiencing an issue with smart sync.

It works perfectly for all my files, exept for Logic Pro X Files. 

When I right-click and choose 'online only' it syncs, sets the icon to the grey online-only-icon, but within 5 seconds or so, the green 'local-icon' appears again and it's not synced anymore.

I tried to find which application is causing this, but I can't find it.

Do you have experience with this issue?

Thanks!

Jaap

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.1 and Dropbox 40.4.46

Tags (1)
8 Replies

Re: Smart Sync doesn't work for Logic Pro files

Super User II

It's not just Logic Pro files, or Mac.

I have a Windows 10 laptop. I set the everything in Dropbox to be Online Only. After hours of indexing and syncing, the process completed but there was still more than 10GB of files stored locally (not counting the cache folder). These files and folders were clearly marked as Local, and not Online Only. So I attempted to set one of those folders to Online Only again. Like JWMJWM above, the folder started to sync, turned grey to signify that it was Online Only, then immediately syned again and was back to Local.

The next step was to uninstall Dropbox and remove the entire Dropbox folder. I then reinstalled Dropbox and when presented with the option during install, selected Online Only for the entire Dropbox. Again, after a couple hours of indexing and syncing, the majority of my Dropbox was Online Only but the same 10GB or so of files and folders mentioned above were Local once again.

When attempting to set any of the files within those folders to Online Only, this is what happens...

No matter what I do, I cannot set those files to be Online Only without them re-syncing back to Local. It's the same for any files or folders included in the 10GB.

Tagging @Ross S.

Level 2

I found what file triggers the continuous download. Since the Logic files are actually a package, I opened the package. In it, there's a .plist file, which keeps downloading itself.

So, that's another trigger, but no solution.

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 09.33.03.png

Applied Smart Sync at folder level, but PDFs, JPEGs, etc within folder are not Smart Sync-ed

Level 2

Hi everyone,

I generally like how Smart Sync works, but I've discovered that it is selective in its application. Mainly, JPEGs, PDFs, and a few other filetypes don't Smart-Sync even when the folder they're in is Smart-Synced. Randomly, Coreldraw files and several other formats DO Smart-Sync. I would like a way to ensure that, when folders are switched over to "Smart-Sync" mode, all files within each folder are also "Smart-Synced" so that I can save more space on my hard drive.

If anyone has been able to solve this, let me know; any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Re: Applied Smart Sync at folder level, but PDFs, JPEGs, etc within folder are not Smart Sync-ed

Super User II
I have no answers I'm afraid, however, I'm merging it with another thread that I know the Dropbox team are aware of and working on.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Applied Smart Sync at folder level, but PDFs, JPEGs, etc within folder are not Smart Sync-ed

Level 3
I am having this same problem, and not actually getting anywhere with there support, they have said an application is using the files so it’s not a problem with Dropbox, that’s not the case as far as I can tell and I am totally stuck, did you manage to get this sorted?

Super User II

@oliespink wrote:
... they have said an application is using the files so it’s not a problem with Dropbox, that’s not the case as far as I can tell and I am totally stuck, did you manage to get this sorted?

Yes, and it wasn't a Dropbox issue. It was the antivirus I was using. An update to the antivirus corrected the behavior.

Level 2

I have the same problem... Did you find a solution?

Super User II

If a file doesn't stay set to Online-only, then an application or some other process on your computer is accessing the file, causing Dropbox to download it again. In my case, it was my antivirus attempting to scan the files.

You'll need to figure out what application is accessing the files, then prevent it from doing so.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync doesn't work for Logic Pro files
8 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post