cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync downloads files and leaves on my Mac when "Online Only" is set

Smart Sync downloads files and leaves on my Mac when "Online Only" is set

Attwood
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am on a Mac, my Admin has set for files to be "online only". However when I go into a folder which is set as online only and use a file, the file is downloaded which is fine, I use the file and then I save it, but for some reason the file remains on my PC and does not revert to "online Only". 

This is useless to me as we use huge files and photos and the whole point of buying and paying for dropbox business was for the smart sync function. Now I just end up with downloaded files in random folders which are set by me and my admin as "online Only".

Please assist, I thought a folder marked as online only would ALWAYS be online only.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Attwood wrote:

... but for some reason the file remains on my PC and does not revert to "online Only".

That's how it's supposed to work. A file made Local will remain local until you set it back to Online-only yourself.

I thought a folder marked as online only would ALWAYS be online only.

Not at all. Anything that attempts to access the file will cause Dropbox to download it back to the computer and mark it as Local. It will remain that way until you mark it as Online-only.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Attwood wrote:

... but for some reason the file remains on my PC and does not revert to "online Only".

That's how it's supposed to work. A file made Local will remain local until you set it back to Online-only yourself.

I thought a folder marked as online only would ALWAYS be online only.

Not at all. Anything that attempts to access the file will cause Dropbox to download it back to the computer and mark it as Local. It will remain that way until you mark it as Online-only.

robbie3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I make the files/folders be online only?

Attwood
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks, I appreciate the response and if that is how Dropbox operates then so be it. 

However, I must say, that it seems like a really silly rule to have in place. Surely the way to do it would be to downloaded the file and make local, and as soon as it has been closed or saved then Dropbox makes it back to online only.

The way Dropbox have set it the user has to keep going back and making the folder online only. Seems silly.

Thanks for taking the time to respond though.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

As @Rich mentions, when you access a file through your Dropbox folder and it’s online-only, contents and relevant info of the file are downloaded so that you can open it from your computer, which is why it is automatically set to be local.

Although the desktop app requires you to manually set a file to be online-only again, I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration. 

Finally, @robbie3, you can Smart Sync files and folders by following the steps outlined here

I hope this helped to some extent! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Attwood wrote:

Surely the way to do it would be to downloaded the file and make local, and as soon as it has been closed or saved then Dropbox makes it back to online only.

That's just not safe, at all.

How is Dropbox supposed to know when you're done with a file and ready for it to be marked as Online-only again? Doing it on save would be stupid. Just because a file has been saved, doesn't mean the user is done with it. I'll save a file up to a few dozen times while working on it. Save early, save often. You also can't go by when a file has been closed. Not all applications keep an active lock on open files, so Dropbox might mark a file as Online-only as soon as it's been opened and released by an application.

There's simply no safe way for Dropbox to determine, on its own, when a file is ready to be marked as Online-only. The only safe way to do it is to leave it in the hands of the user.

Need more support?