Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Smart Sync enabled still taking up hard-drive space!

Explorer | Level 3

So it seems that this issue is widespread and its somewhat concerning me.

I have just upgraded to my new account with Smart Sync and have been gradually archiving some files from a drive to my DropBox storage.

I'm having the same issue whereby 'online only' folders are taking up local hard drive space and i've never even had these files locally on my drive!

My Documents folder on my Mac is now saying its taking up 522gb of space yet the local flash drive of my Mac Book Pro is only 500gb!

What I will say though is that i'm not getting any storage full notifications.

However this whole thing is making me nervous and I dont like the idea of bad sectors being created on my drive or somethig terminal happening.

I had a session with support last night but the situation was not resolved and I was told it was being escalated - i've still heard nothing.

Anyone have any solutions please?

3 Replies

Re: Smart Sync enabled still taking up hard-drive space!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Jay (not talking to myself here!), have you checked out my post in this thread?

If the ‘Get info’ properties page for an online-only folder shows that the size on disk is low, then Smart Sync should be working correctly. In that case, it’s the Mac OS that cannot determine the correct size of the files.

I’d recommend checking with Apple directly to see if they can assist with this matter, since everything is working as it should with the Dropbox app.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2
Hi - did you ever sort this? Same issues here and a lot of drop box “support” giving a lot of different excuses on here but no real clarification

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Joe, this post from my colleague should clarify matters about the current situation.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync enabled still taking up hard-drive space!
3 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post