cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync is experiencing an issue

Smart Sync is experiencing an issue

Waps
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am having an ongoing issue with Smart Sync.

MacBook Pro 2017- OSX 10.13.6

Drop box 58.4.92

DropBox app is giving me this error.
"Smart Sync is experiencing an issue. To open online-only files, right-click and choose SmartSync and then local."

I have to manually right click, sync to local,  and then open files
(does not auto sync and open files)
Attempting to open "online only" files gives erroers saying the file is corrupt.
(all formats of files)

This also affects linked files through inDesign. 

I have tried the Support recommendation of unloading dropbox kernel but that also errors.

HELP!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear about this, @Waps

Initially, I’d recommend updating your desktop app to our latest stable version (59.4.93) using the offline installer - maybe that will do the trick. 

If you’re still encountering some trouble with this, since you’ve done some initial troubleshooting (awesome work), I’d recommend at this point to continue this discussion via email so as to further investigate. 

For this reason, I was able to locate your ongoing communication with a specialized member of the team and I’ve passed your comments along. Should you require further assistance on this, due to account specific info required to continue troubleshooting, please reply to them via email. Rest assured, they'll do their best to assist you on this. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear about this, @Waps

Initially, I’d recommend updating your desktop app to our latest stable version (59.4.93) using the offline installer - maybe that will do the trick. 

If you’re still encountering some trouble with this, since you’ve done some initial troubleshooting (awesome work), I’d recommend at this point to continue this discussion via email so as to further investigate. 

For this reason, I was able to locate your ongoing communication with a specialized member of the team and I’ve passed your comments along. Should you require further assistance on this, due to account specific info required to continue troubleshooting, please reply to them via email. Rest assured, they'll do their best to assist you on this. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Waps
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply

I have updated to 59.4.93 and the dropbox error does not appear now. But SmartSync is still not working correctly. I still cannot open files without manually making them local. 

Other users onthe same account can double click on a file and it auto syncs to local and opens without error.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to hear about the error disappearing, and sorry to hear that you're still experiencing some trouble with Smart Sync. 

@Waps wrote:

Other users onthe same account can double click on a file and it auto syncs to local and opens without error. 

Are you getting seeing an error other than the one you were seeing before? Could you please send me a screenshot (omitting personal info) of this so as to have a better understanding of this? 

Thanks in advance, @Waps:grinning:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Waps
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am still having this issue.
Tech support keep referring me to the same support procedures.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear that, @Waps. I’ve made sure to pass your comments along to my colleague. They’ll review your concern again and get back to you with the relevant info. 

Thanks for your patience and cooperation on the matter. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Josekun
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same, I have updated to 59.4.93 and the dropbox error does not appear now. But SmartSync is still not working correctly. I still cannot open files without manually making them local. 
Such a waste of working time.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

59.4.93 is a very old version. The latest stable version is 79.4.143. Have you tried updating to the latest version?

cleberdecampos
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I work on a team of 7 people, in which 5 people have issues with smart sync.

I am one of the 2 where Smart sync behaves as expected: when you double click an online only file, it opens instantly. 
I use 3 computers and 2 Dropbox accounts (the business and the personal), and for me, it works as expected in all of them (Big Sur and Catalina OS).

My other colleagues need to right click and select "local" before opening a file. 

If they try to double click it, they will get an error message. (attached)

Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 11.56.30.png

This becomes incredibly annoying when working with Indesign documents that have hundreds of links inside. 

My colleagues need to go file by file clicking to make local (or make huge project folders (50gb plus) available local.

We already contacted Dropbox support and the suggestion was to reinstall the app, then they closed the ticket.

The IT department of our studio also tried all sorts of troubleshooting without success.

we did all of these:

logout dropbox, restart, login dropbox
uninstall old dropbox with app cleaner
install new dropbox
tweak configurations of dropbox (activate and desativate extensions on mac permissions)
uninstall indesign
install older version of indesign

install most recent version of indesign

none of these steps solved anything. 

I am currently reading all posts with similar problems trying to find a solution we didn't try yet and posting this message in all of them so other people can follow the journey.

can anybody help us with this incredibly annoying issue.

thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @cleberdecampos, what version of Mac OS and the Dropbox desktop application are you running on your devices?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?