Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Smart Sync is not working when compressing files in Finder

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

It seems that Smart Sync is not working when compressing files in Finder. I. e. Right-click → Compress.

It only compresses placeholder files.

For example, iCloud Drive behaves properly: it downloads all of the files before compression starts.

Is it a bug?

6 Replies

Re: Smart Sync is not working when compressing files in Finder

Super User II

At a guess, no, it isnt a bug because the files are not locally and are not intended to be local. The point of SmartSync is not to have them on your device at all so to download them would defeat the object of it.

BUT to get official guidance on that you'd need to ask support via www.dropbox.com/support which you can then track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3
Well, did you miss the part about iCloud Drive?
Highlighted

Super User II

Yes, but Dropbox is a very separate system to iCloud - always has been. I still stand by exactly what I said this morning. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

What I’m trying to say is that iCloud Drive has exactly the same feature as Dropbox’s Smart Sync. And Finder’s command “Compress” is handled properly by iCloud Drive: i. e. it downloads unsynced files before creating the archive and not just throws placeholders into it, as Dropbox does.

Super User II

And what I'm saying is you are comparing two very different things. iCloud has access to many more features and controls than any other syncing tool does - because its made by the people making the OS. 

iCloud is a very different eco system to Dropbox - it only works really well on iOS for example. 

As I said in my first post the only way to know for sure is to ask Dropbox support (nobody here is support) if this is the expected behaviour or not.

Explorer | Level 3

Support said that it should react to any events, but doesn’t register this one for some reason. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync is not working when compressing files in Finder
6 Replies
0 Likes