Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Smart Sync on Group folders

Helpful | Level 5

I have a Dropbox Plus account and Smart sync works on my personal files.  I am the also admin of a group (Team folder) that I created to collaborate with others.  

On any of the folders or files within the Group share (Team folder), I do not have the option to select Smart sync (no menu item appears).  I'm using a Mac.

Any ideas?   I've done all of the usual re-starts, etc .... Is it some kind of restriction that Smart Sync does not work on a group/Team folder?  Or do I need to change a group setting?  Or is it that one of the members needs to update their account to Plus perhaps??

Dropbox is showing as v81.4.195

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies

Re: Smart Sync on Group folders

Dropboxer

Hey there @MartinHParis,

Would you mind just clarifying which plan you have on the team account? Is it possible that your group account is a "free team" rather than a Dropbox Business Standard/Advanced subscription? You can check which plan that account has associated with it by visiting your Plan tab here.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Daphne, thanks for the quick response.

Here's what it indicates when I click that link: 

Dropbox Plus - 2TB 

You’re a member of the XXXX-SHARE Dropbox account.  (I removed our name)

To troubleshoot - I just checked on other Macs that are logged in under this team account (and who does not have a personal account linked) and SmartSync is appearing & available on their computer.   For myself, I have a personal account & the team account linked (and as mentioned, on my personal folders it's working ok).

Thanks, Martin

Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that for me @MartinHParis!

So that we can look into this further, I've reached out to your email address associated with your Community profile. Since we'll need to discuss some account specific info, we'll need to continue this discussion via email. 

Please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, received the email & I've confirmed.

New member | Level 2

Can I follow the methods without concerning with anyone? 

Helpful | Level 5

@jotinkarterI'll post some updates (and hopefully solution) here once I've heard from the support team.

Helpful | Level 5

I'm posting the summary of the discussion with Daphne in the support team (who I will say was excellent - thanks Daphne!).

Our set up was that we had 3 "Dropbox plus" accounts that should, in theory, be able to use SmartSync.  The 3 accounts are part of a Dropbox Team (free team, not a business account - we don't really need all of the business features).   1 account uses only the team account with no link to a personal account, and SmartSync is working fine.  However the two others have a personal account plus are "linked" to the team account.  On these two accounts, SmartSync works on the personal folders, but is not available on the "Team" folders.   Daphne confirmed that SmartSync is not available on "Free team" folders when accounts are linked with personal accounts.

Our best option (without upgrading to business which is overkill for us) seems to be to forget about using the "Team" option and just have everyone use their personal accounts to access one shared folder (but not ideal as I have my personal folder linked to a different email address (personal) on purpose).  Sigh...

Dropboxer

Hey @MartinHParis,

Thanks for updating us here on the thread! Just to clarify one of the points you mentioned there, smart sync will only be able to be applied to the team folders when the account that the folders are under have a paid subscription associated with it. 

I appreciate you taking the time and coming back to update the thread here, I'm sure that it will be useful to others following this.

I'll be more than happy to help if you (or anyone else) has anymore questions about this.

Have a great day - thanks!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync on Group folders
8 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post