Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Smart Sync still taking up local space

aw8
Helpful | Level 6

Hi all,

I am using dropbox with smart sync capability on a Mac OS 10.13.

I can switch my dropbox folders to online only mode (green check switches to a gray cloud). When I check the info for my dropbox folder, it shows very little of the data is locally stored (~6MB of the 170GB in this folder). 

However, my Mac thinks the hardrive is full. When I look at the "About this Mac" storage tab, it shows over 180GB of documents that I know are on dropbox smart-sync online only. Because of this, my Mac will not allow me to download any additional files - it believes the hard drive is full. 

I contacted Dropbox support and they said this is an OS issue and not a Dropbox issue and had no solution for me.

Is this something we have to wait for an update from Apple? What is dropbox doing to work towards mediating this? I have searched through the forums and there is not a solution to this issue. This makes Dropbox completely unusable. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 11.50.25 AM (3).png

666 Replies

Smart Sync on Mac Isn't Freeing Up Storage Space

New member | Level 2

Hello, I'm wondering if there's a way to clear previously local files that are moved to "Online Only" via Smart Sync on Mac. I'm running Dropbox v51.4.66 on macOS 10.13.5. 

When I go to " | About This Mac | Storage | Manage" and look through the index, large files that are marked "Online Only" appear to be taking up space. 

From the Storage Manager:

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 12.28.46 PM.png

As you can see, the "Online Only" icon is present on the actual file: 

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 12.29.27 PM.png

But the file still seems to be present and is indexed as used space by macOS. Anyone know of a way to clear the Dropbox cache or something so this becomes free space?

Re: Smart Sync on Mac Isn't Freeing Up Storage Space

Super User II
It auto clears within a few days, or, you could delete things from the cache by following https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/cache-folder

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Smart Sync on Mac Isn't Freeing Up Storage Space

Dropboxer
Hi there @strether, thanks for posting your question on the Forum and welcome aboard! I just wanted to follow up and check if you were able to resolve your concern in the end. 

Feel free to keep us updated on the matter here and we’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. In the mean time, have a great day ahead! smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Super User II
How long ago did you enable SmartSync?

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

aw8
Helpful | Level 6

I set up this account in January 2018. It had smart sync enabled from the start. I recently deleted and re-installed Dropbox on my computer and I am still having the same issue. 

Super User II
So the folders you are talking about have been 'Smart Sync'd' since January?

aw8
Helpful | Level 6

This has been happening all along. Whenever I set the folder to "online only," the Mac still thinks it is taking up space on the harddrive. 

Super User II

I dont think it is this then, but, Dropbox has a hidden cache folder. Usually the issue you are seeing is because Dropbox holds files within the cache for a few days after SmartSync is activated.

You could try seeing if you could find it and removing anything in it: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/cache-folder

Highlighted

aw8
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. Unfortunately, I tried clearing the cache and it had no effect. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
666 Replies
560 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey