Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Explorer | Level 4

Just want to +1 the comments here: Smart sync files set to "offline only" are taking up space locally—inspecting a 5GB "offline only" file reveals it is indeed taking up 5GB. I only discovered this because of a notification alerting me that my harddisk was almost full. Clicking Apple > About this Mac > Storage > Manage reveals all the largest files, and they are mostly files that are "offline only". 

My solution was to bypass smart sync and just use selective sync to remove folders entirely.

Dropboxer
Hey @jkhaff, thanks for letting me know of the troubleshooting you’ve followed so far. You may keep in mind that I’ve recently posted a couple pointers that would help you determine whether your Online-only  ☁️ files do indeed take up any space locally on your device here

You may have a look at our comments there at your earliest convenience & please do let me know here if you’d like me to explain matters in a bit more detail. Thanks again!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Having this exact same issue! Any fix?

New member | Level 2

Same issue here. Is there a way to go back to selective sync?

Dropboxer
Hey @lgarcia022 & @foodbyjonister, thanks for checking in with us on our Forum! 

I can see on my end that you’ve already discussed your concern with a colleague via our Official Support channel lgarcia022, is that right? I’ve also replied on your open ticket on our Official Support channel foodbyjonister & you may have a look at your inbox for my latest message whenever you get a chance. Happy Monday!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

I'm in the same boat. I was warned that my disk was almost full. I looked at the largest files and the top 5 are all set to "online only". I am at a standstill with the work I need to do because my disk is so full. It's ridiculous that I depend so heavily on DropBox for my work and personal images and now this is happening. I don't want to use Selective Sync because it is very incovenient for workflow. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!!

Dropboxer
Hey @MRAPhotography, in order to follow-up on your inquiry & investigate what could’ve gone wrong, would you mind including a screenshot of what you’re currently seeing? Thanks in advance! 

Jane

Helpful | Level 5
Same issue here:

We have multiple machines smart syncing. All but one are working correctly with smart sync, a MacBook Air with 500GB SSD.

Command-I on the Dropbox reports it’s using a tiny amount of space (most stuff being offline-only), and doing a quick calculation tells me that the SSD should have about 350GB free.

But finder is reporting 80GB free, and we are unable to copy a 90GB folder to the SSD. Emptying the cache folder and restarting makes no difference. ‘Disk usage’ in system information reports 350GB of disk space is in use by ‘System’.

I know the new AFPS format is using a different method to calculate available storage - my guess is that it is (sometimes?) using the larger figure rather the ‘on disk’ figure.

Any progress Dropbox? This is a showstopper.

Dropboxer
Thanks for your report here @Jon C.10, it’s my understanding that you’d need some hands-on troubleshooting on the matter!

As I’d like to focus on your setup & look into that a bit more closely having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks for reaching out on our Community & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane

aw8
Helpful | Level 6

Hi everyone, I went through a long process emailing back and forth with the DropBox support team, and they basically told me that this was an Apple issue and not a DropBox issue and there was nothing they could do about it (even though this is clearly an issue on DropBox's side)... super frustrating. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
621 Replies
498 Likes
Solved! : See solution