cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Helpful | Level 5

While my space has been recovered, if you access the Mohave Space Management Tool in settings, it still shows the documents full size. So while it shows 47.3 GB available out of 250 GB, it lists each file size for a total of over 1 TB. It makes cleaning up your hard drive of actual files very difficult and I believe still shifts iCloud files to the cloud. 

New member | Level 2

@jj21 wrote:

The idea was quite simple. My mac is getting full and smart sync was exactly the solution I needed. Clearing space while keeping my files within easy reach. A clic away. 

This is how dropbox is promoting it. 

Therefore, I’m obviously believing that this product will clear space on my internal hard drive.  

So you can imagine my surprise when I realise that it wasn’t the case. Yes, theoretically if you press command + i, you’ll see that your file has a physical size close to 0 Ko and dropbox support love pointing this. However, the mac doesn’t recognise that and will continue to consider the space taken. 

To this, dropbox responds: « this isn’t Dropbox failing to communicate with the OS system but your OS system failing to calculate to right size used by the files after smart sync. The proof is that it’s working on windows ». (I find amusing that it’s a clear imitation of the OS finder on their presentation page).  

To their answer, Apple responds: « If dropbox decides to create a new product running on OS, they have to make it work with our ‘’rules’’. We’re not going to adapt to their product».  

Dropbox support bypass this problem either by telling you they’ll send you a private message or pushing you to contact Apple support. So this might save you some time: Apple recognise the problem and don’t have solutions.  

At the moment, the only thing that smart sync does is removing your files from your mac without clearing space.

So you don’t have access to your files anymore and your computer still consider that it’s using the same space.  

I’m very thankful for those bringing technical solutions to make it work on this forum. However, I upgraded from plus to pro for this simple and elegant solution: smart sync. I’m expecting it to work as promoted.  

I’ll go back to the selective synchronisation that was available with my plus account and request a refund. But don’t take me wrong, nothing else similar exists out there and I’d love to see this product develop further. 

I’ve never taken time to write those kind of article but I rarely felt cheated like this by a renowned company. Specially one that I was looking up to.

Because in conclusion, this product isn’t working as promoted and I don’t really care who’s fault it is. They’re selling it.  

Just imagine Adobe launching a new program that wouldn’t work on OS and responds ‘’but it’s working on windows it’s not our fault’’.  

PS: If you relate to this article, please like or comment to bring attention to it. 

SO appreciate you taking the time to write this out. It very much captures my experience. My DB has more data in it than my entire Hard Drive can fit, so smart sync was (in theory) a revolution in being able to navigate my files in my Finder.

Not only have I had the issue of the OS not "realizing" the files aren't really there, but my entire Hard Drive crashed and I had to spend a week restoring all due to an avalanche of of a data disaster started when DB was sycing files down and the HD thouht it was out of space, so DB stopped syncing but woudn't "suck them back up" and everythin went to...well...

I also find certain application like Hazel can't "play well" with smart sync and try to pull the files down (as also happens when I'm saving anything to a folder in Dropbox on my computer... the save dialogue somehow kicks all the files in that folder into syncing down and I have to remember to go to that folder and re-smart-sync....

Anyways, not to pile on, but SO agree with all you've said.

New member | Level 2

@Ross S. wrote:

Hi all, I wanted to clarify our position on this.

Firstly, to be clear, I'll state: 

When working correctly Smart Sync will free up your hard drive space, and this will be recognized by your operating system.

Based on the above comments I think a the main issue may be the time it takes to reclaim the space.

I've been waiting months for a "new snapshot" or for the OS to recognize it. Eventually I eneded up having to restore my HD entirely, so was starting over re-syncing my DB to my computer "fresh" and even with that, it still is reading too much data that's not there.

I'm in commication with DB support troubleshooting, but just wanted to chime in that it's unfortunately not as simple as just waiting. So this isn't exactly a resolved issue as of yet.

I have no illusions that this kind of technology is simple to create and maintain. But I do share frustration of paying for a product and service that doesn't work as advertized.

Thank you for your time.

Helpful | Level 5
The reason I can say that it absolutely is a drop box issue is because one drive offers selective sync and it works just fine.
Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

Smart Sync and Selective Sync are different.

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Since DropBox already HAS the files there is no upload time due to file size. DB replaces the files on HardDrive with links to DB. At sometime, such as upon power-down & full ReBoot(!), macOS takes a snapshot of the files at which point the HD should appear to have more space.

Exceptional conditions, such as a HD that is sooo full that adding the "links" cannot be done, or such as the user not doing a full power-off, can delay your results.

Helpful | Level 5

Both allow me to effectively see my entire Dropbox or OneDrive account in finder but pick and choose what gets downloaded to my actual hard drive and what stays in the cloud. As a user, it's exactly the same to me. 

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Ryan, you can "see" all your files all the time if you use the web based access.

Helpful | Level 5

Why would I use the web based access when they've developed something that allows me to see all of my files in the finder without using any space (when it works properly). My point is, Dropbox is pointing the finger at Apple but Microsoft has implemented an identical sytem that works as it's supposed to. 

Re: Files are still taking up space with Smart Sync

New member | Level 2

This is also happeneing to me and I cannot remove it. I am completely aware of the 'ON DISK" size and actual size and even when its marked as online only and days after being that way it still shows size on disk to be "317GB" 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
812 Replies
682 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey