cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Collaborator | Level 9

Has anyone examined the properties of the 'shortcut' file that DB uses to replace the actual file?

Does that file contain meta-information about file "size"?

New member | Level 2

This problem has been going on for me since I got a new Macbook and the past four months have been awful. Basically since the day I got the Macbook, I did nothing but download Dropbox - synced only the two most essential folders (which are about 40GB) and yet I've been down to having only 12GB left since day one... 

The problem is that if you try to "manage storage," you can't, because every file that's in dropbox shows up, even when it's not taking space.

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.54.57 PM.png

So you have no idea if the problem is something outside of Dropbox - in another folder. Because you can't sort what's actually on your computer from what's not.

But I manually checked the size of other folders and realized something was still wrong. I'm getting ready to quit dropbox. I can't take it anymore. It takes a thousand years to sync - and leaves no space on my harddrive. So it's a totaly flawed program. And I've had dropbox since 2013 (always with Mac)

But I did want to say that I just found out ONE of the problems. It's that when you click to Smart Sync a folder to online-only, it may not be syncing everything in the folder. I saw that one of my folders which showed online-only actually had 10GB still on my harddrive. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.30.33 PM.png

When I went through the actual folder, I saw that one of the folders had neither a checkmark, nor a cloud next to it. It had something that looked like a minus sign. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.29.47 PM.png

But at this moment, my dropbox isn't syncing at all. It says Up To Date. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.51.11 PM.png

So the dropbox is not doing anything to fix this because it thinks it's up to date. And the folder from the main menu says that this folder is online-only - when only part of it is.

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.51.39 PM.png

The only way to fix this was to move that folder with a minus next to it - into another folder in the main area, and by moving it, it triggers Dropbox to sync. Then it shows the spinning blue circle and says - syncing 2,000 files. And will show a checkmark when it's done. And then will reflect a change in how much you dropbox folder has downloaded on the harddrive.

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.52.24 PM.png

Mine now shows only 31GB out of 482GB - when it showed 40GB on the harddrive previously.

Helpful | Level 7

I had every folder in my Dropbox synced to "Online Only" so theoretically NOTHING should be taking my local harddrive space.

I then completely removed the Dropbox app from my computer, which SHOULD remove everything in the folder with it, but the files in my dropbox folder remained, so they were physically on my harddrive the whole time even though it said it was "online only."

Bring this up to Dropbox and they blame Apple, bring it to Apple they blame Dropbox. It's bull**bleep**, I'm paying a premium for this service and it doesn't even work. I switched from GDRIVE to Dropbox specifically for this feature.
I wish Box.com had a comparable individual plan, my job uses box and has this same feature and I've had absolutely no problems with Box.

Dropboxer
Hey there (@Melissanadia), I appreciate your in-depth explanation! In order to further advise on the matter, I’ve sent you a brief message on the email connected to your Forum profile. You may have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience if you’d like us to work on that together. Thanks in advance!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Jane, when a remote folder is accessed or a file-in-cloud is accessed, is it brought to the user's disk?  (I was wondering if a user had software that needed files was essentially defeating the smart-sync feature.)

Re: Files are still taking up space with Smart Sync

Helpful | Level 5

Dear Dropbox, for the thousands of users who have the exact same problem, can you please consider POSTING a public solution so we all can benefit?

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Ross, Surely a "new snapshot" is taken upon power-off and reboot isn't it?

Re: Smart sync not working with macbook pro

New member | Level 2

Thanks for this answer. So, even though the files are not on my disk, my mac thinks that they are, and every couple of minutes I get the warning that my hard disk is almost full. Do you have any ideas about a solution to this error message? I am using a MacBook Air.

Helpful | Level 6

Hi everybody,  I'm really disappointed (pissed actually) that Dropbox wont bother to fix this so I have decided to downgrade and are really considering to move to Google or other similar services. 

Now I can't even access my locally created file (on my mac) since the so called Smart Sync won't update my settings no matter what I do. And the sync to my phone are broken aswell on files that are smart synced. 

I have been a lojal customer since 2009 but as of now a really unsatisfied customer. 

All the best/K

Helpful | Level 5

First: How on earth can this be marked as "Solved" when the comments here patently indicate it is not.

Second: Stranger things are now happening.

I used to Get Info to verify the size in the Finder.

Whereas before the logical size of file was 14.7gb and the physical size was zero, now I have a physical size that was showing 6gb, and then reset to Zero within a minute of checking it.

I have now completed a Time Machine backup (just to cover this suggestion from DropBox support). After Time Machine cleaned up I am still left with a huge amount of data being taken up on my Hard Drive by files that are all confirmed by DropBox as Online Only.

Dropbox, this is aweful and you have to get it sorted. Like other users I am a very long time user of your platform and only upgraded to the Pro version for access to the Smart Sync functionality - which is broken on MacOS

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
812 Replies
682 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey