Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Level 9
Why does Dropbox keep responding like they have never heard of the issue and they need to look into it. Are they this foolish? Is this how they waste money so they don’t have the money to fix it correctly?

Level 7

@logandeyo wrote:
Can we openly address the actual issue here instead of taking every person that replies, private? It’s clearly a widespread issue and for months, with zero timeline and zero explanation, it’s unacceptable. Not sure why after over 21 pages of replies now, there’s not a single hint of when / if it’ll be resolved.

Smart Sync flat out does not work properly on certain versions of macOS, and whether it’s an Apple or Dropbox issue, it needs to be openly stated that it’s being worked through, or it needs to be removed as an advertised feature for paying customers.

It's because they don't have a solution and they're trying to save face by giving the appearance they're helping individual customers.

Highlighted

Level 6
That’s what I don’t get. Then just acknowledge you don’t have the solution. I’d be more understanding if you’re working through it but having issues and can’t resolve it yet, but to pay monthly and have the support staff act oblivious is frustrating.

Level 8

Extremely frustrating. No solution in sight, no acknowledgment that there is an issue. They just simply blame MacOS when dropbox are ones that developed a product that is supposed to work on the operating system. Still being charged full price and support is horrendous with their infinite and slow feedback loop. 

Level 5

I would love to have some personal support with this issue. I mean, if that solves this never-ending issue that would be great. My MacBook is mired in issues with Dropbox Smart Sync turned on. 

Level 8

@Ryan S.22 It renders the machines practically useless. In my experience, a couple of months back and forth, you will not get any type of direct service. Their phone support is nothing more than a filter to the actual support techs. 

Level 5

Yeah, I was halfway being sarcastic. If personal support will actually fix this problem I'm all game! I don't think it will though because there doesn't seem to be a solution. I'm close to just switching everything to iCloud and calling it a day. 

Level 4

to Hi Jane, have sent response to email.

Thanks

Luke

Level 6
I love how they’re still linking to the solution as being that it, “takes time,” for a new snapshot. I uploaded files in smart sync three months ago and they’re still showing up in storage space. Do I just need to set my laptop aside until next year and buy a new one in the interim?

Even if you get support on the line, it’s the same answer.

Chances are I’ll have to cancel and move to another provider in the next few weeks. Love Dropbox, but running a business on it has become a headache because of this issue.

Level 4

Yes this is same issue as I am having. My computer is basically struggling to run because it believes 500+GB of work that I have on my Dropbox account is actually stored locally. Deems the whole service useless.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
365 Replies
61 Likes
Solved! : See solution