Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

New member | Level 2

I'm having the same issue, it's been a few days now of putting a whole TB of data "in the cloud" with the selective smart sync, and Finder still says it's taking up space on my hard drive. I tried waiting, I tried clearing the cache. Nothing.

New member | Level 2

Im having the same problem.
The strange thing is that MacOS is reporting files that has never been downloaded to the macbook.

This makes me think that Apples harddrive "snapshot" might not be the problem for me.

New member | Level 2

Hi

I just have been following your conversation! Seems a you have a bit more knowledge and frustration with this problem!

Can I ask what you have done to free up and pay for something that isint working? Do I delete dropbox from my macbook and only use it on the in internet browser?

Would really appreciate your help!! Regards Nasche 

Explorer | Level 3
Hi.

Though not ideal, but as a temporary fix in the short term, you could buy a small, cheap usb stick and move the location of your Dropbox folder from your internal hard drive to the usb stick (be sure to do this through preferences in the Dropbox control panel not by dragging and dropping). As long as it’s big enough for the downloaded files you require and all the other files are already set to online only, the Mac seems quite happy with this in regard to accurately registering the correct file sizes.

If after the transfer you notice the Mac still shows your internal hard drive as full, go into ‘About This Mac’ > Storage > Manage. Then just wait a while. This seemed to force a new snapshot and now the real data on the drive has returned to normal.

Whether this is a better solution than simply accessing your files through the browser is a matter of preference.

Hopefully Dropbox will come up with proper solution soon before they do some real damage to their reputation.

Dropboxer
Hey there @blairfisher, it would be worth noting that I’m merely pushing the public conversation here to a private one, as there are bits & pieces previously mentioned on this thread that should be re-iterated (however this should be adjusted to each one's needs). That said, because we like to treat each case separately, it would be best to see whether all initial checks & settings are optimal & focus more on how the discrepancy has manifested itself for each user individually. 

From there, kindly note that I was out of office for the weekend however I’ve replied back to your message first thing when I got back to the office today; please have a look at your inbox & we’ll take it from there. 
When it comes to your inquiry @mikegbtd , I can see that you’ve already messaged our team through our Official Support channel & my colleague has replied back to you, so I’ve made sure to include a copy of your comments on your ongoing correspondence & I’ve increased your support priority internally. Please include all relevant details on this email chain & rest assured that they’ll do their best to follow-up on the matter.

Last but not least @HavalinaDK & @joz75, I’ve reached out to you directly on my end, whereas I’ll also reply back to your message shortly @NascheD, so please have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience & we'll take it from there!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5
Honestly this is too complicated and time consuming for me. Clearly selective sync has not worked as promised and expected. Hope there is a fix.

Collaborator | Level 9
This lack of response right here is the problem. Dropbox is ignorant, thinks it’s users are morons. STOP trying to act like the issues are unique to users and their individual settings!!!!! This is freaking ridiculous. This is a PUBLIC ISSUE! Everyone has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Settings are irrelevant. DROPBOX KNOWS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, YET REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE IT, DELAYING FOR ITS NEW WEB BASED SOFTWARE AS THE SOLUTION. You need to go read a book by Dale Carnegie, really. TREAT YOUR CUSTOMER WITH THE RESPECT THEY DESERVE. It’s the early like me that made your company a success and the reason you have a job. If Dropbox is feeding you these foolish responses, I would quit working for them.

Re: 2 months of troubleshooting and smart sync still does not work with Mac help

Helpful | Level 6

I have El Capitan OS and still have the same issue

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

joan p6, "selective sync" has always worked as advertized, but not "smart sync" on Mac OS.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I was hoping that today's upgrade, which includes SmartSync would iron out those issues on MacOS.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
559 Replies
449 Likes
Solved! : See solution