cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Dropboxer
Hmm.. 🤔 @richgcook, as you’ve mentioned that you’re using Symlinks, I’d say that it’s highly likely that this behavior is attributed to this setting

From there @Joan P.6, please take your time to adjust your sync settings; I’ve replied to you earlier within the day on our email discussion, however feel free to touch-base with me on either conversation should you have any follow-up questions. That said, I‘ve also made sure to send you a brief email on my end @eengelh, in order to look into the issue you’ve mentioned together. 

Last but not least @Bran K., I’d suggest having a quick look on apple’s resources regarding the update, as this is the most accurate source of info on this matter. 

If there's anything else, please let me know here. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Suppose that I manage to upgrade to High Sierra, am I still going to experience this Dropbox issue with folder size reporting? Many people reported that they have the same problem in Mojave as well. Which means ALL versions of mac OS X are affected?!

Explorer | Level 4

I am working in High Sierra (10.13.6) and am having these problems. I have been trying a few things over the last couple of days that were suggested by Jane at Dropbox. However, as far as I can tell, the Mac is very confused by this process. 

If I 'get info' on a file that is online only, the Mac reports zero bytes on disk - but many parts of the Mac OS see the logical size (original size) and that is what is reported. This is also what 3rd party software sees, so it is very confusing and difficult to know exactly how much space I have.

I have not tried to fill up the disk again to see if I can use the space that Dropbox is supposed to have saved, but others are reporting that the Mac won't let them use the 'freed up' space. If this is the case, this feature is useless.

Helpful | Level 6

But the Dropbox increased their price recently, advertising this feature as well. And the feature does not work. Basically, I shold do much better if I attached a firewire disk to my iMac and keep data there. Many organizations forbid accessing dropbox via web anyways so there are no benefits from that perspective either. I think that the price we pay Dropbox each month should be halved immediately.

Explorer | Level 4

I am seriously considering the portable hard drive option....the only real benefit I am getting from Dropbox now is the large file transfers, which I can't really do using my organization's internal system.

Helpful | Level 6

It makes sense. I have a Firewire interface which I use with a robust Lacie disk to smart copy everything from HD to this 640GB disk with SuperDuper. I am thinking of buying another Lacie disk, connect via Firewire to iMac, download everything I currently have on web Dropbox on it (or use a portable disk drive). I opted for Dropbox to be able to backup files when I work on client sites. But last couple of years, clients have forward proxies setup to prevent you reaching Dropbox, One drive etc. A major drawback. And now this. As it stands, this service should not cost more than $5 per month. It costs almost 3 times that much

Collaborator | Level 10
Everyone should be notifying the Better Business Bureau about this deceptive business practice and that this is bait and switch. Many states have a Unfair and Deceptive Business practice law in which you can send a demand letter to Dropbox.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jane,

I went through my Dropbox folder and decided which folders I would store in the cloud.  Is this what you mean when you suggested that I adjust my sync settings, or is there some other setting or step that I missed? Thanks.

Dropboxer

@Bran K. wrote:

am I still going to experience this Dropbox issue with folder size reporting? Many people reported that they have the same problem in Mojave as well. Which means ALL versions of mac OS X are affected?!

I understand that- given the length of the thread- it may appear as if that’s happening regardless of the configuration & settings & at this point I’d merely like to reiterate that this is something that we’re currently working on for those affected @Bran K.. Nonetheless, as a rule of thumb we recommend ensuring that all settings are optimal & that’s why I advised proceeding via this route, as I feel that this should improve this behavior. 

That all said, it’s always up to you to decide the option that best suits your needs, as proceeding with the system update may require some additional time & effort.

Secondly @blairfisher, I’ve made sure to get back in touch with you with an bit more advice on this matter earlier today within the day via email, so you could check back on your inbox for my last message. 

Last but not least @Joan P.6, that’s exactly what I meant, since you had mentioned that you had to adjust your settings & see how Smart Sync works for you. Please let me know of any updates either here or on our email discussion. 

I hope that my messages are helpful; I'm always around in case you have more questions or thoughts about any of the above! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Collaborator | Level 9

@Jane wrote:
Hmm.. 🤔 @richgcook, as you’ve mentioned that you’re using Symlinks, I’d say that it’s highly likely that this behavior is attributed to this setting

It's not to do with symlinks.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
805 Replies
682 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey