Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Level 2

Im having the exact same issue and and i cant find a working solution in this thread even though it is marked 'solved.'  Am i missing a fix somewhere?  its starting to affect the performance of my computer - as the original poster says, im limited from downloading larger files locally because my system believes the disk is full even after ive made sure any and all unneccessary dropbox files (over 100GB worth) are set to online-only!

Level 9

@hkcw wrote:

Im having the exact same issue and and i cant find a working solution in this thread even though it is marked 'solved.'  Am i missing a fix somewhere?  its starting to affect the performance of my computer - as the original poster says, im limited from downloading larger files locally because my system believes the disk is full even after ive made sure any and all unneccessary dropbox files (over 100GB worth) are set to online-only!

There is no fix. It simply doesn't work.

Level 3

Has anyone had a problem where your computer deletes files off of the online folders against your will? Do you think changing to selective sync would help this?

Level 2

esandell not on my end. I'm not sure if thats relevant to the topic this thread - I'd suggest opening a new thread with that specific issue!

Level 3

The reason I put it on this thread is that she's also having the same issues referenced by all above in regard to smart sync, so I'm wondering if smart sync is the culprit in deleting these files...

Level 2

ah ok got it. honestly i'd still suggest opening a new thread as there doesnt seem to be much help available in this one lol. hope you find a solution

Level 7

@aw8 box.com has figured out how to do this correctly.

Maybe Dropbox should poach some Box developers to fix their problems.

Level 2

Dropbox should create seperate Application for Smart Sync like Google File Stream. Using the same application we need to manually changed the new files/folder as "Online Only".

Dropboxer
Hey @hkcw, I can see that my colleague has already replied back to you on your open support ticket. In order to gather all relevant details under the same email chain, I’ve now made sure to include a copy of your comments & increased your support priority internally. 

From there @esandell, what you’re describing sounds unexpected & just so as to look into that a bit more closely, I’ve sent you a brief message on my end earlier today within the day. Please check your inbox & we’ll take it from there! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Level 9

Why are you not replying to my emails now, Jane? I have no symlinks. I downgraded my account subscription and bought a Samsung SDD T5 instead. May I request a refund?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
467 Replies
383 Likes
Solved! : See solution