Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Hard drive space issue

Explorer | Level 4

@Juunas wrote:

Hi @Gilgamesh and @bazsc!

Have you tried the suggestion here? Quoting,

This update will initially only be available to users who have opted in to the Early Access program. To opt in, please contact our support team directly here stating that you wish to be opted in and reference “Zero Size Placeholders”.

As far as I understand, this has nothing to do with the account setting for beta updates, and is a separate early access program that you would need to opt-in by contacting Dropbox Support asking to be opted-in for Zero Size Placeholders. slightly smiling face 

(I have had this issue for over a year; I am not currently on the beta release cycle; I opted-in to this early access program via Dropbox Support; the issue seems to have been fixed for me after opting in, both logical and physical size have a value of 0 when set to online only)

Joonas

Hi Joonas

Much appreciated for that response.  I assumed that this would be fixed in the genral beta version so it may be that I haven't the right version.  I have contacted support so will see what they say.  I am really disappointed in the time that this has taken to fix, and am a bit worried it will rebreak when Catalina comes out.

Again a big thankyou for your reply

Dropboxer

Hey peeps!

As @Juunas mentioned previously, the recent update is explained in the Accepted Solution here to contact Support and request to opt in for “Zero Size Placeholders”.

To clarify this, the above isn't related to the Early releases beta program which you can opt into from your account settings page here.

Just to check in, @bmallon did you follow the steps to contact Support as suggested? If not, please let me know and I can reach out to your email address associated with your Community profile and we can do so from there.

I hope this helps - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

I asked about getting the zero placeholder feature but haven't heard back. I'm wondering if this is a planned feature for a future release of Dropbox or if this is something that users must opt into?

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

Helpful | Level 5

Hello Rua,
I contacted your support team to opt in to the Early Access program, but one month later I'm still waiting and with the same problem. 

I understand things can be hard to solve, but its been 4 weeks waiting.

I will wait 2 weeks more, otherwise i'll start searching for another storage cloud service. 

Dropboxer

Hey @ChristianReady,

This is currently something that users will need to opt in to. To ensure that things are on the right track I've reached out to your email address associated with your Community profile. Please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we'll go from there. 

Also, @val__ I was able to locate your open ticket with our Support team and have passed along your comments there. The agent handling your case will take it from here.

Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

I have also opted in and havent received anything. I need to desperately get on this program. I have a 1 TB drive I have all my folders set to smart sync online only but now have my computer crashing as there is not enough room on my hard Drive. I even went into DB preferences and unchecked a whole lot of folders so they're not synced - made no difference whatsoever. This is getting ridiculous.

Dropboxer

Hey there @Fanale,

I was able to locate your ticket in our system and could see that the agent handling your request had replied back to you. Did you receive this email at all?

If not, perhaps you could check your spam/junk email to see if it was redirected there by mistake.

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne - 

Hoping you can help me on support ticket #9678410 requesting my team be opted into the early access program for Zero Size Placeholders.  I filed the request with support on 9/4/19 and was only told it may take "several days" to get a response.  So far I have not heard anything.  Can you check on the status of the request for me and help expedite it if it is still pending?  Thanks.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @SGrayTX

Thanks for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community!

I just wanted to let you know that I was able to locate your support request and passed your comments along to the specialized member of the team reviewing this for you. 

As soon as they have more info on the matter, they'll get back to you via email. 

In the meantime, you can track your ticket's progress at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

Hope this helps!

Lusil

Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

also experiencing issues with this, but worse of all it has just blocked dropbox from working at all, Can not add any selective sync issues so my laptop is basically unusable as all my files are on my dropbox. Can not deal with thousands of sync issues and risk losing files if i start manually deleting stuff now (linked to two other computers)

sent a request for the early access so hoping that goes trough ASAP

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
564 Replies
451 Likes
Solved! : See solution