Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Hard drive space issue

Dropboxer

Hello @ciuchka and @chriscavill, welcome to the Community!

We currently have an opt in process for those experiencing issues with their device not registering the reduced space smart sync files are taking on your hard drives. This is described in some more detail here.

I've reached out to both of you via the email addresses that are associated with your Community profiles so that we can look into your account in some more detail and go through this process if you so wish. Please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can go from there.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

We requested access through the suggested channels to Dropbox's Zero Size Placeholders Beta "solution" over 2 weeks ago and have yet to receive a response other than "we have no update" and "your request still pending".  Very frustrating that there is supposedly a fix to a problem that is negatively affecting our businesses and Dropbox is so incredibly slow at responding to those opting into the early access program.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi I have been waiting for action on this for 2 weeks and the responses I have received are risible.  I do not believe there is an opt-in beta service to be honest.

Can you please be honest with us and tell us what is happening to help those of us who want this service to be provided (as was indicated when the price was increased)

Highlighted

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

Helpful | Level 5

Hello! I finally have my dropbox files online and my computer empty. I write here in case can help someone. Support team write me and told me to relink and restart my device. That didn't work. so I tried this and work:
- Uninstalling dropbox from my computer.
- Delete Dropbox cache folder: go to Finder the use Cmd + Shift + G and write "~/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache". This send you to cache folder.
- Restart Device
- Install Dropbox
- Restart Devide (Yes i got crazy and restarted my computer 100 times xD)

Hope this can help the other ones slightly smiling face
Captura de pantalla 2019-09-21 a las 11.42.35.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for all your updates here peeps!

I'm very glad to hear that everything is running smoothly after the process @val__! I appreciate you taking the time to let us know all that info in such great detail. grinning face with smiling eyes

Also, @SGrayTX and @bazsc, I've made sure to pass along your comments to the agents handling your requests. Apologies for any inconvenience the delay has caused, please do let me know if you have any further questions and I'll be more than happy to assist where I can with this.

I hope this helps to some extent, keep us all posted!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

Val, Did you delete your entire Dropbox folder before reinstalling? Or did you just keep your Dropbox folder as is and simply delete the hidden cache file? Also, should we unlink the account first?

Just curious as I followed your steps and it seems like there's still stuff being kept on my computer even though I told it I wanted everything set to "Online Only".

Helpful | Level 5

Hey Hash! I first unlinked. Then i deleted all folders and cache folder. Then I reinstalled a relink my account. I hope it will work for you. 

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

New member | Level 2

Hi!

I'm having the same issues. Almost all of my files are on smart sync online-only but my mac still reflects that these files are stored locally. 

The mac says I have lots of storage left but the graph says otherwise.

Any help?

Thanks,

Dropboxer

Welcome to the Dropbox Community @vjracho!

We currently have an early access program mentioned here for the issue you're describing. If you'd like to opt in, please just let me know in reply to the email that I reached out to you with, sent to the email address associated with your Community profile.

Thanks!

Daphne

Helpful | Level 5

I too would like to be included in this Daphne. I have Dropbox eating up about 90GB on my work laptop, and it's proving VERY problematic.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
665 Replies
552 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey