Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Smart Sync on Mac Isn't Freeing Up Storage Space

Helpful | Level 5

To follow up from my previous post, I emailed support to opt in for the "Zero Size Placeholder"

I submitted my query Nov 9, got the first reply November 11, confirming that I was being added.

I was sent instructions on November 13th that I had been added. It just required unlinking and relinking my dropbox account on my Mac. It spent about 3 hours re-indexing my files, and after that was finished, all the "online-only" files now do not contribute to my disk usage on my Mac anymore.

So from my point of view, this was dealt with relatively quickly. I wouldn't say the issue is resolved yet, as I haven't used it long enough to see if there are any bugs, but at least my hard drive is back to 300 GB free.

Re: Smart Sync on Mac Isn't Freeing Up Storage Space

Helpful | Level 5

I submit my request to opt in for the "Zero Size Placeholder"on Oct 13. I received a reply on Oct 15 by tier 1 supprot who tried to perform troubleshooting (wasted time). I received notice I was added to the next batch of "Zero Size Placeholder" on 10/18... still waiting.

Highlighted

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

Explorer | Level 4

It's been a month since I've requested access to that program. ZERO RESULTS and a USELESS computer thanks to Dropbox. 

Terrible customer service, terrible product.

Mac Hard drive full!!! - all folders are online only in Sync

Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

This issue is serious and not going away.

I have 1.58TB of files on my Harddrive that should not be there - they are all on dropbox and I selected them as Online Only, in the Smart Sync. 

As a result my laptop is no longer functioning (camera is not working, wacom is playing up) all because I have maxed out my harddrive when I thought it was all Smart Syncing online only.

Can I please have urgent help as my MacBook Pro is under serious pressure and not working properly. Thank you.

Computer = macOS Mojave Version 10.14.5

Harddrive.pngHarddrive fullDropbox.pngDropbox on desktop (Edited by moderator)Hard-drive.pngDropbox files that are Smart Sync'd to be online only ARE TAKING 1.58 TB on my computer Hard Drive (Edited by moderator)Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 2.pngSet up (Edited by moderator)Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 2.20.59 PM.pngSelective Sync (Edited by moderator)

Re: Mac Hard drive full!!! - all folders are online only in Sync

Dropboxer

Hey there @Cadam, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Firstly, all of those screenshots are super helpful so thanks for taking the time to share those with us!

So that we can double check the space being taken on the disk, from your Finder can you Command+click one of those online only folders and choose "Get info" from the menu.

From there, can you let me know what the "Size on disk" is showing? Feel free to send me another screenshot of this.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Here you go - this whole folder is online only.Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 2.pngEdited by moderator

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Cadam!

From the screenshot it's showing the folder is taking 2.2 MB on the disk. It appears that Smart Sync is working correctly but the OS is reading the logical size of the files and not their physical size.

To continue looking into this, I've reached out to your email associated with your Community profile. Please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can go from there if you'd like to.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Smart Sync is not working

Helpful | Level 5

I'm experiencing problems with smart sync. I have all my files as online-only yet they taking up space on my hard drive. I remember this function was working before.

I'm on Macbook Pro, OSX 10.15.1, Dropbox v85.4.155

Betreff: Smart Sync is not working

Explorer | Level 4

I have the same issue and support has been not very helpfull since 17th of October :(. 

Additionally in my case the "online-only" setting is reversed to "local" without me doing anything. If I put it back to "online only" in the Finder or the Dropbox app I can see it being set back to "local" after 30-60sec.

Naturally this is a huge problem, because there's not enough space on my hard drive to keep all files local.

I did:

- advance reinstall

- fix permissions

- resyn all files

No change so far.

Case numbers are: 

Ticket #9848286

Ticket #9933664

MacOs 10.14.6

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

New member | Level 2

I have the same issue.

All files are online only but they are showing up in my HD.

Please be in touch to resolve this ASAP.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
692 Replies
582 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey