cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Alex,

Thanks for this.  I just skipped your post as well.  Seems like an interesting solution and one I'm considering trying, even though I'm not tech savvy.  However, I just came back here and reread that you say: It is important to set a limit that is less than the size of your hard drive. 

I'm wondering if this means that your solution won't work for me and the others, because the problem we have is that the mac "thinks" that our thumbnails are as large as the originals?   The problem we have is when the mac thinks our hard drive is full when it's not.   

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

New member | Level 2

Our company is leaving dropbox for a different cloud storage solution because of this issue . Even our Dropbox representative said there was nothing they could do. All other cloud storage applications allow cloud-only storage to save local space. I don't recomend dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

Sounds like a good solution, but when you sign up for zero size place holders, they will just ignore you and nothing happens for months.

I don't think it actually exists. The autoreply says we will upload a badge soon, but now specification what soon is for them.

Explorer | Level 4

I've canceled my dropbox account due to this specific issue. It has already cost me more time than the payment for this service is worth. Sadly I had paid the year plan, but I can't be bothered taking further action. It costs me less time and money to simply switch at this point.
I will check back in the future if the issue is resolved, but chances are I'll stick with whatever service I choose next.

I've been with Dropbox for close to 10 years I believe.

Putting this message because I hope it will push Dropbox to sort it out for other users. Good luck.

Helpful | Level 6

Agreed. I've been waiting for a patch for months. Now they have me looking through my files for Symlinks and Apps because "that stops migration dead in its tracks." Smoke and mirrors to stall the inevitable... there is no fix.

For everyone giving up on Dropbox, please post which service you switch to and how it is working for you.

Helpful | Level 6

BTW.  Dropbox says this is SOLVED under MY NOTE.  IT IS NOT SOLVED!!!! Argh.

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Kenyon, 

Did you find a better solution?

Thanks! 

Helpful | Level 6

I haven't swicthed to anything else yet, but I also use OneDrive and Google Drive. I may move everything else to one of those if they don't fix it soon.

Helpful | Level 6

I'm looking in to those as well, but I'm not sure they match our needs.  I'm also looking into using Egnyte.  We'll see.  I might end up hiring a consultant to help me figure this out.  I'm so fed up.  Also, it turns out my friend is also having this problem with his Dropbox business plan and didn't even realize that the Dropbox-Mac thing is the big cause of their problems.  He has to buy a new computer anyway, so instead of deal with it, he's heading to the Apple store now to purchase a computer with larger hard drive space.  We're ALL too busy for this!  UGH....  

Helpful | Level 6

After 2 months, I finally have zero size place holders and files makred for smart sync are no longer taking up drive space. I dont know what took so slong and don't know why this isnt enabled for all Mac users with APFS.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
758 Replies
639 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey