cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very confused with regards to Smart Sync

Very confused with regards to Smart Sync

OkeyDokeRodeo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi all, I just upgraded my account to Business with the 5TB storage. Prior to this I was using the basic plan which only comes with 2GB. I would use dropbox to upload files (such as videos, and music) from my Mac to my iPhone for auditioning.

Now that I've upgraded, i'm very confused on how Smart Sync works. In essence does it backup whatever folders you tell it too, then make changes based on how you change the original files? What is the main difference between Smart Sync and Local only? (I read the article on it but however still confused)

My goal with the upgrade is to use Dropbox as central storage, for my team, as well as for personal storage. I would prefer for dropbox to not make changes based on how I edit files on my system. I would like to be in total control of how files on Dropbox itself are edited/deleted.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I've dug through countless articles, watched some outdated videos, and looked in the community but still haven't fully found an answer to how I can accomplish this. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @OkeyDokeRodeo 

There is no real different between how Dropbox works on each plan - its more the quota that changes and extra bits on the site that change. 

So, SmartSync is just a way of having things inside Dropbox but not using up hard drive space. 

There is no way, with ANY Dropbox plan, to have Dropbox sync things outside of its own folder structure. To do any of what you asked you need to relocate the files/folders in to the Dropbox directory. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @OkeyDokeRodeo 

There is no real different between how Dropbox works on each plan - its more the quota that changes and extra bits on the site that change. 

So, SmartSync is just a way of having things inside Dropbox but not using up hard drive space. 

There is no way, with ANY Dropbox plan, to have Dropbox sync things outside of its own folder structure. To do any of what you asked you need to relocate the files/folders in to the Dropbox directory. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

OkeyDokeRodeo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Understood. I was confused as to where the desktop app is but I have found it and figured out where preferences are.

So, if a file is LOCAL ONLY then that means it's taking up physical space on the drive, and can be accessed offline.

If a file is ONLINE ONLY then that means it's only taking up a placeholder space on the physical drive, and you must be online to access it/edit it?

And if a file is Online Only, any changes made to the original files are then synced and updated in dropbox? Or is that just for things that are affected by Smart Sync?

I may be over complicating things just a bit lol.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

OkeyDokeRodeo Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?