Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Smart Sync on Mac Isn't Freeing Up Storage Space

Helpful | Level 7
I tried your suggestion thank you, but it made no change for me :-(

Mac OSX 10.14.latest and Mac OSX 10.15.1.latest
DROPBOX latest
Smartsync turned on in DROPX website prefs too.

Helpful | Level 7

I am assumng here that each* Computer can have different Online / Local settings using the same DROPBOX Pro Account?

... and that they* are individual and not over-ruled by the One DROPBOX settings for all?

Helpful | Level 5

I've also got this crippling issue. My hard disk thankfully is not fully yet, but I've been watching it climb over the last few months, perplexed as I have switched many files over to "Online Only" to no seeming avail. It was quite enlightening, and disheartening, to stumble upon this post to discover the main feature I bought Dropbox for is essentially useless on my Mac.

I have submitted a ticket from my dropbox account, I certainly hope that I can get a reply faster than the month I've seen quoted in recent posts here. Seems that solving this issue should be a number one priority.

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

New member | Level 2

Hey, please help me out, just 1gb left on my Mac of 500gb, all files stored in the Dropbox cloud but Mac still sees them as local files. I'm missing deadlines because I simply can't work now. 

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

Collaborator | Level 9
If you read these threads you will see that Dropbox does not care about you or any of its customers and still have no timeline on a fix for this issue. You best bet is to purchased Box.

New member | Level 2

Hello, I'm having the exact same problem as many here, and so I guess I am not granted access to the Zero Size Placeholder functionality, as I assumed was the case. How do i figure out if this is correct, and if so how would I go about applying for it?

Thank you,
Régis

Helpful | Level 5

Lemberthe, you need to open a ticket at Dropbox Support and let them know you'd like to be added to the Zero Size Placeholder functionality rollout. They'll get in touch with you and keep you informed for when you've been added into it. Dropbox don't seem to monitor here, so you need to go directly to Dropbox Support to make it happen.

It ain't perfect, but it seems to be working for me so far.

Helpful | Level 5

what I want to know is, why does it take over a month to get the patch? why does it seem like each patch is custom tailored to each user? if the issue is with APFS, then why can't one patch apply to all users on APFS and roll it out to all users on APFS? Dropbox is installed in the kernel, they should already know which users need it. why are they waiting for users to discover that SmartSync is broken and request a fix? if Dropbox can't figure this out, what hope do we have they will contnue to develop their main product!

Collaborator | Level 9
A month, try a few years.

Helpful | Level 5
100%.

I raised this with support as they implemented the fix for my account. More than once. Their response? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Ignored that part of my email and focused on the usual customer service platitudes.
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
692 Replies
582 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post