cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

Dropboxer

Hey @Sigi2 and @msalacan, thanks for nudging us on the thread.

@Sigi2, while this is in early access, the team is working on it. For now, I'd like to help out, so I've sent you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile. When you have the chance, please check for my email and we'll take it from there. 

@msalacan, I found your ticket that you had with a specialized member of the team and can see that they replied to you. Have a look at your inbox for their latest message and don't hesitate to get back to them if you have any additional questions. 

Thank you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Helpful | Level 6

I have been opted into the "zero placeholder beta" and it appears to be working on at least one Mac so far. Will continue updating the other machines and monitoring the storage space to ensure this is working.

For everyone else, I kept DM'ing Dropbox Support on Twitter and posting here until this was "resolved" for me—I am not sure why others are not getting support in a timely manner. I hope all of the attention we are bringing to this situation is truly escalating the need for a permanent fix and software rollout for Mac users. 

Best of luck to everyone.

Helpful | Level 5

I'm so sorry to hear that everyone is still having problems with this. I was given the zero placeholder about a couple of months ago (after waiting about a month or two to get opten in). For what it's worth, it's working for the most part but there are a couple of caveats:

1. Back up your data before you switch!

Some of my files got destroyed and I couldn't restore them, even after using Dropbox Rewind. In my case it wasn't a total loss because I could re-download from elsewhere, but I'm worried I'll find a file that's corrupted that I won't be able to download from anywhere.

2. Zero-byte doesn't mean your disk is suddenly freed up.

After the zero-byte placeholders are added to your system, Dropbox copies everything into ~/[Your path to Dropbox/.dropbox.cache/old_files

This is normally deleted every couple of days, but if you're in a hurry to get your disk freed up right away you can remove these files. However, you may have to overcome read-only permissions with superuser in the terminal, e.g.,

sudo rm -rf /old_files/*

Even then you may need to empty your system trash. However, once I did that, I had my disk back!

A note to the customer support team: thank you for your professionalism. You've been placed in a very difficult situation for a very long time. Please know we appreciate your helping us and we know there's only so much you can do.

If anyone from your product or management team is reading this, please, PLEASE consider levelling with us. Does Dropbox recognize this is a bug and are you trying to fix it?

Good luck everyone, and hang in there.

Chrisitan

Explorer | Level 4
Good

New member | Level 2

Hey Luisl, am having this drama also – to the point where Dropbox itself is suggesting I delete some files… tired face

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 12.39.02 pm.png

Finder is reporting 105GB free, About this Mac says it's 62GB, and Disk Inventory X reckons there's only 37.3GB. I'm sick of having no idea how much space I have and my performance suffering. Can you please opt me into this beta too? 

Thanks, Luke.

Dropboxer

Hey @lukerhn, thanks for reaching out to us - welcome aboard!

I've followed up with a ticket, so when you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Files are set to be "Online only" with Smart Sync but still taking up space.

New member | Level 2

Hey!

We have just started using dropbox on on our macs are are finding that the files are still using up all the space even when they're selected as online only. 

The files are moved into the folder but still 1.6GB in size even when all options are selected as online only. Please can someone assist?

Thanks! 

Anthony 

Re: SmartSync still using space

Dropboxer

Hey @AnthonyF12, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you let me know if the file is showing the grey cloud icon next to it?

If you don't see the sync icons, please right click the file and choose "Smart Sync" to see which option is checked (Online only or Local).

Also, can you right click the file from your Finder window and choose "Properties" and send me a screeshot of what the file is reporting there for "Size on disk"?

Finally, can you just clarify for me where you checked to see the full size of the file still showing as 1.6 GB?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne

Re: Files are set to be "Online only" with Smart Sync but still taking up space.

Helpful | Level 6

Anthony,

You should get out now while this is fresh. There isn't a systemic fix. The Dropbox employees here will act helpful and act as if this is some anomaly you're experiencing. It isn't. This is how their deeply flawed software actually functions. Use iCloud, Microsoft Drive, Google Drive -- ANYTHING other than Dropbox.

Re: Files are set to be "Online only" with Smart Sync but still taking up space.

Explorer | Level 4

Hey! So I'm also having the same issue with Dropbox. Even tho I have all files and folders set to "only online" they keep taking up a lot of space on my computer. Is the fix coming anytime soon? I really REALLY don't want to move to another service.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
811 Replies
682 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post