Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Level 9
Addressed. Meaning I option into the beta program under account setting and then downloaded the beta

Level 9

And just like that the beta has already failed. It worked for about 30 mins today. Back to full HD, smart sync never seems to respond when I switch a folder to "online only" it just sits there with a green check mark. It's amazing how DB can sell a service for extra money in which its primary function does not work. This would be like going to the gas station to find out they are selling water and not gas.

Level 4
Don't create a new folder. Go to the gear icon and move the entire dropbox folder up the hierarchy to the level where your hard drive lives. Then it works and smart syncing stays as you set it.

Level 9

This works for the storage issue but takes away the ability to share files or folders directly from finder and you no longer have the ability to access any of the smart sync functions like switching files/folders from "local" or "online only"

Level 4
Sorry not my experience. I moved it, reclaiming tons of space, and all functionality (including sharing) works fine for me. Are you sharing with the icon of the box up top in your finder? That's how I do it and I'm on a Mac and it works great. The only difference is that my computer no longer thinks it's using space from my machine.

Level 9

That is the mac sharing option not the dropbox options I am referring to. Can you right click on a file or folder and see these 4 dropbox options (they should have a DB icon next to each one:

1. share

2. copy dropbox link

3. view on dropbox

4. smart sync

Level 4

all of those PLUS

version history

and

view comments.

I'll attach a screenshot. oh i've tried to attach a picture but get the "unexpected error has occurred. hmmm...i can't attach as i get the Unexpected Error on this site but you'll have to take my word for it.

Level 5

and to clarify all 6 appear when i'm in dropbox and right click, with little blue circle dropbox icons to the left.

Level 6

I moved to the root directory and now it has unlinked the folder from Dropbox. Using Mac. 

Level 4
Did you move it with the gear icon (within the dropbox app) or did you drag it to the root ? You have to move it within the app.
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
343 Replies
51 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post