Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

aw8
Level 6

I could live if it was just taking up 40 GB... my Mac thinks the entire harddrive is full, and all the files it thinks are local I know are in dropbox online-only synced folders (over 200 GB of files)

I wrote to dropbox support and they had no resolution. They stated it was an issue I needed to take up with Apple, but it seems more of a problem on their end to me - their software is not communicating with the local harddrive storage system. 

This is extremely frustrating as I can't download anything to my computer - the Mac thinks the harddrive is full (despite the fact that I KNOW the files are all synced to online only and not taking up local space!) 

Level 2

Hmm, not sure I am on board with the Dropbox admin askinga user to take this offline with the admins. I am another user having exactly the same issues with MacOS thinking the drive is full after a Dropbox smart sync.

Come on Dropbox I am paying royally for your service for all my employees - a ssolution please, rather than passing the buck. When I read your marketing for this service, it didn't mention this rather fundemental issue for Mac users - hardly a small cohort of people at this stage.

Level 5

I feel your pain, my dropbox on my mac now says it's using 131GB but only 918.6MB on disk.  (see screenshot)dropbox_size.png

However my Storage only shows 408GB of 500GB being used, which is better! So there's an improvement here.

It would seem that MAC OS is excluding the Dropbox folder size as part of Documents (even though it shows up under Storage Management).  

But I'm not right at the threshhold like most of you, I have room to breath.  I also think Dropbox is downloading WAY too much for having Smart Sync set from the get-go.  My ISP download usage will show that clearly.

Goodluck... 

Level 5

Having this exact same issue right now, the answers in other threads were weird, marked solved when they clearly weren't

@Funsan wrote:

Hmm, not sure I am on board with the Dropbox admin askinga user to take this offline with the admins. I am another user having exactly the same issues with MacOS thinking the drive is full after a Dropbox smart sync.

Come on Dropbox I am paying royally for your service for all my employees - a ssolution please, rather than passing the buck. When I read your marketing for this service, it didn't mention this rather fundemental issue for Mac users - hardly a small cohort of people at this stage.

Dropboxer
Hey! Some of you mention that you have Smart Sync enabled; do you by any chance have any files that are online-only?

If so, please check the actual file size by:
  1. Ctrl+click on a file.
  2. Select Get Info
  3. Find the file size and in brackets you should see the size it takes up on your disk. If the file is set to online-only, then the size on disk should be minuscule.
When looking at the size on disk, please bear in mind the number of files being calculated since, for example, 100,000 minuscule files when added up can be large. 

If the size on disk seems to be much less than the total amount of the file size, then Smart Sync is working as normal and this is OS related since it only goes by file size and not size on disk. In that case, I’d kindly recommend getting in touch with Apple support for more info. 

Let me know how it goes! nerd face

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 10

Hi,

I just tested taking everything online-only and then syncing some folders to local. I sent screenshots and detailed description of the problem to you over email, ticket #8217407.

Also, please don't brush this off as an Apple only issue: clearly it's to do with how the implementation works from your side with/to macOS - nothing your customers can solve on their own by contacting Apple Support. I'm positive the issue would be easier solved if your Smart Sync engineers worked with Apple to get this working instead of making it a task for your paying customers to solve it for you...

Joonas

Dropboxer

Hey Joonas (@Juunas), I‘ve made sure to reply to you on your second post! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Any news on this? my computer is unusable, i depend on cloud sync, and my computer just reached the peak on its storage waiting for an answer for this.

Why would i depend on a hard drive while having this service, considering that this is an essencial part of dropbox, its the whole point of it. 

Level 2

I feel your pain! Just submitted a question about this same thing. UGH it's SO FRUSTRATING and makes my computer un-usable. 

I had previously synced files to my compuater and recently changed all of them to "online only sync" but these files are STILL on my hard-drive taking up space. My mac won't let me delete them :( 

I even tried removing Dropbox entirely from my computer and that's not working either. In fact, when I go to remove the application itself, my mac tells me that "I can't delete this app - plugins are still in use" even though I've already REMOVED the plugin.

I believe these are the same issue's you're facing? Have you had any luck/ resolutions yet? Let's solve this together 

Dropboxer
Hey @andrade90, would you mind sharing some more details in regards to the issue that seems to be troubling you with Smart Sync, in order to send you the most appropriate next steps? 

When it comes to your description @valeriegoren (which was very detailed & thanks for taking the time to explain your current condition), it seems that there was an issue with your previous installation & for that reason I’d suggest following these steps to run an Advanced re-install. 

Other that that Valerie, I haven’t been able to find your ticket on our system. Did you write us by any chance?

Please let me know here of the outcome or if you’d like me to get in touch with you on my end & I’ll make sure to email you directly. Thanks & I'll be awaiting your next reply on this discussion!

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
462 Replies
375 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post