Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Helpful | Level 7

@Rua THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

Stop blaming MAC for YOUR issue. I've been on Apple support for hours (which were far more helpful than anyone I talked to at Dropbox) and they confirmed it is NOT a Snapshot issue. Stop [profanity removed by moderation according to the Community Guidelines] everyone around and figure this out.

Collaborator | Level 9
Thanks for this response. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that your ignorance is just subconscious. We DONT CARE about the cause of the technical issue. Dropbox either needs to say “we know there is a software issue with Mac users and are working diligently to address this issue”, or “ Dropbox has looked into this software oversight with Mac and decided not to properly address the issue. Users can downgrade to remove Smart Sync and request a refund, or decide to use another service”. This crap about “we’ always looking for ways to improve our experience for Mac users” is a marketing answer. If Dropbox does not properly respond with true answers, all users should be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and sending letters to Dropbox explaining they have been Unfairly Treated by Deceptive Business Practices via Bait and Switch. There are other services that have figured out how to make it work correctly, so Dropbox needs to as well.

Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

Hi @Rua,

Thanks for your explanation. Looks like I am not, however, the only one left feeling like the post didn't provide much clarity as to how/if/when Dropbox is going to solve its compatibility issues regarding Smart Sync on Mac OS.

For some clarity, could you maybe simply (yes/no) confirm that

• Dropbox acknowledges the compatibility issue, and that
  • Dropbox is currently and actively working on FIXING the compatibility issue?

I for one can appreciate fixing can be time consuming, but this issue has been ongoing for almost a year now and the above "solution" (seeing the post has been marked as a solution) doesn't give me much confidence in expecting a real fix any time soon.

Joonas

2 months of troubleshooting and smart sync still does not work with Mac help

Explorer | Level 4

I submitted a request for support on March 8 and we still have yet to identify a resolution that will allow either of my desktop macs to operate correctly with Smart Sync. I am unable to download any new applications or run the ones I need (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) I'm hoping someone here might be able to assist me in answering a few questions.

According to Dropbox's website, it states, "Apple's operating system macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) uses a new type of file system called APFS...This isn't a behavior specific to Dropbox, but instead the designed behavior of macOS."

1. Should I infer this is also an issue with Mojave? 

2. Does this mean Dropbox does NOT support smart sync with High Sierra or newer updates? For instance, Mac will not change their file system and Dropbox's smart sync feature has yet to work with Mojave on any of my computers.

3. Is there anyone else that has this issue besides me that has gotten it resolved? 

4. Who should I contact about refunds since this issue has never been resolved? Are we getting refunds? 

Thank you to anyone who might be able to provide some insight!

Re: 2 months of troubleshooting and smart sync still does not work with Mac help

Dropboxer
Hey there @dasikins, sorry to hear about your experience. 

Initially, I wanted to note that I was able to locate your open communication from my end and have made sure to reply to you via email. 

As per the queries that you list, I’d be more than happy to explain a bit more, so please bear with me. 

@dasikins wrote:

1. Should I infer this is also an issue with Mojave? 

As the website mentions, currently, the limitation is known with macOS 10.13 High Sierra. If you’re experiencing an issue with your macOS not saving space accordingly, as each case may be unique and account-sensitive info is necessary to investigate, the best option is to contact our Support team as they have access to internal tools used for efficient troubleshooting. 

@dasikins wrote:

2. Does this mean Dropbox does NOT support smart sync with High Sierra or newer updates?

The limitation doesn’t rule out all macOS 10.13 High Sierra. As such, you may still be able to use Smart Sync with your device. 

@dasikins wrote:

3. Is there anyone else that has this issue besides me that has gotten it resolved? 

I’ve moved your post here where other users have reported this issue and to keep track of all your relevant feedback on this. 

@dasikins wrote:

4. Who should I contact about refunds since this issue has never been resolved?

In most cases, subscriptions for Dropbox Plus, Professional, Business and Enterprise are non-refundable. However, if you think there’s been an error in billing, please don’t hesitate to contact our Support team and they'll be able to look into this for you. 

I hope this information helped to some extent. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2
I don't consider this a solution.

Re: 2 months of troubleshooting and smart sync still does not work with Mac help

Collaborator | Level 9
Let me translate those answer for you.

1. Yes the issue is will Mojave’s as well.
Since it’s a dropbox issue, it will not be resolved until Dropbox decides to own its mistake and fix it.

2. Yes. Dropbox with Smart Sync does not work correctly on Macs and has a major software problem. We will continue to pretend it’s Apple fault and ignore the needs of our customers by providing them with crap mouth.

3. No. It requires Dropbox to prepare an update to resolve the issues completely, Users who think they might be resolved just have not realized they still have the issue.

4. We don’t give refunds as long as we continue to lie and claim our software is working properly. If we were a car company the government would’ve pushed us for a recall already. Sorry you get $0.

Explorer | Level 3

Horrible 'solution' - probably an auto-response from a bot. I've also had a ridiculous experience trying to troubleshoot with them.

Their tech team and approach to solutions is very concerning. 

This is a redflag for investors looking at Dropbox. Time to short the stock and get the word out.

Explorer | Level 3

Lusil, I was directed by the dropbox support team to reinstall dropbox on my mac to 'resolve' the issue with Smart Sync, as my Mac stopped me from saving a file because I had run out of theoretical space on my hard drive.

My bigger problem now is that when I reinsalled dropbox, it wont work. The icon is in applications, but when I open the APP it just blinks (top right of screen), and doesnt open. Nothing.

I've now followed up this problem over ten (10) times over the last 16 days - on both email and with the live support bot - and i've received no help whatsoever. 

A 'Harry' has responded twice to reassure me that files are not actually taking up storage on my hard drive.

I have two issues:

1. My dropbox does not open and does not work on my laptop.

2. Smart Sync stops me from saving any more files on my laptop.

Top priority for me is solving issue 1 and i've had zero acknowledgement or action from the tech team. 

Are you able to help me?

Explorer | Level 4

I'm having the same problem - a year later.  I'm running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.  I took the advice to wait a few days but I've been using SmartSync for a month and the disc space has not freed up.    Does anyone else have a solution by now?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
698 Replies
587 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post