Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Explorer | Level 3

King Bran of House Snark. You alone can save us! Start a company!

Dropboxer
Hey @Kahsay, I’m merely asking to move the discussion to email, in order to confirm that said troubleshooting has been carried. Nonetheless, it would be worth noting that I can’t access someone’s account-specifics here for security reasons & it would be best to cross-check the info we have on file, so as to evaluate your current circumstances & further advise. I understand that this may sound repetitive, however it looks like the discrepancy described here is more often than not attributed to various causes. 

I hope that this helps bring a bit of clarity & I’m at your entire disposal if there’s anything I could do to help you on my end!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3
This is causing me serious issues. Is there really no solution?

Collaborator | Level 9

@Jane wrote:
I hope that this helps bring a bit of clarity & I’m at your entire disposal if there’s anything I could do to help you on my end!

Fix the problem.

Helpful | Level 5

Yes no symlinks. Actually how I tested: brand new macbook pro, clean install, the only non Apple application installed is Dropbox. I think dropbox can't handle the APFS disk structure.

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that @JamesCodes, I’ve now sent you a brief message on the email address connected to your Community profile, so that we work on that together a bit closer. Please check your inbox & we’ll take it from there! 

Following @JasperD, I’d happily further analyze that, however it would be best to access your account-specifics on my tools. I had sent you a message last week that was automatically closed due to inactivity. Would you mind replying back to me there, so as to determine whether this is indeed caused by the files you’ve stored in Dropbox? Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Collaborator | Level 9

"Jane", it's not a user-specific issue; it's a company-wide issue.

Can you please stop reiterating the same story time and time again and update everyone else on the company-wide status on this?

aw8
Helpful | Level 6

I made this post almost exactly a year ago. It is an absolute joke that this thread is marked as "solved" yet I still have no resolution on this issue. Went through official support twice, both times was told it was a specific issue to my computer or the buck was passed to Apple. Clearly this is a problem that disrupts proper usage of Dropbox for most Mac users and the fact that Dropbox doesn't want to acknowledge that is disappointing. 

Has anyone found a different software they are using for off-disk storage that is easy to access? 

Collaborator | Level 9

Both Google and Box offer 'SmartSync' technologies.

New member | Level 2

Im having the exact same issue and and i cant find a working solution in this thread even though it is marked 'solved.'  Am i missing a fix somewhere?  its starting to affect the performance of my computer - as the original poster says, im limited from downloading larger files locally because my system believes the disk is full even after ive made sure any and all unneccessary dropbox files (over 100GB worth) are set to online-only!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
659 Replies
549 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post