cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Hard drive space issue

Explorer | Level 4

Screenshot 2019-09-03 at 10.01.11.pngThis files seems to be selectively synced so is on dropbox but not on harddrive here. But it is still listed as one of the large files taking up space when I try to reduce clutter?

Explorer | Level 4

To add this, I see now that this is not "selective sync". It is "smart sync". But the same issues still stands. Any idea which the large file stills seems to be taking space on my local hard drive when the smart sync logo against it seems to suggest it is only on dropbox?

@Gilgamesh wrote:

Screenshot 2019-09-03 at 10.01.11.pngThis files seems to be selectively synced so is on dropbox but not on harddrive here. But it is still listed as one of the large files taking up space when I try to reduce clutter?

Dropboxer

Hey there @Gilgamesh,

So it appears that the file is smart synced but the reduced space it takes isn't being accurately reflected. If you right click/Command+click the file and choose "Get info" you should see a reduced size that the file takes on your hard drive.

Have you had the chance to check out the Accepted Solution here with some further info regarding this matter?

I hope this helps - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Daphne.

I have opened a support ticket and requested the zero size placholders as noted in the Accepted Solution. I am still puzzled all round, as when Mac Finder identifies large files that are causing clutter, it highlights a lot of these smart sync files that ought not to be taking any harddrive space.

I followed your suggestion - see screenshot. The files seems 5Gb in Finder, and when I get info, it has zero bytes in brackets. But clearly the Mac Finder believes it is causing clutter and taking up space.

Not to worry - if the support guys can use the "zero size placholders" it should fix it.

Thanks for looking at this.
Screenshot 2019-09-03 at 21.28.24.png

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

New member | Level 2

Does this solution only address the ability to see what files in dropbox occupy in terms of hard drive space or does it address the issue that I believe that author had which was hard drive space occupied after switching to online only mode? I have the same problem. I went to online only, but I did not regain any of my harddrive space back. 

Collaborator | Level 10
You should read all the threads. There is no fix except the beta software update. Dropbox ignored the issues for almost 2 years blaming Apple, taking its customers on wild goose chases, wasting business time, and not issuing any refunds for a service that did not work and they knew it. All to finally issue an update without apologies. Don’t waste your time any further, just get on the beta download.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for this bmallon - you have hopefully saved me a lot of banging my head against the wall!

I am currently awaiting a response to the request for "zero space placeholders" although it makes no sense that they would not be zero (or minimal) space in the first place. What is the point of smart sync if it is using the same space as full sync?

Thanks for the tip on downloading beta version. I am not sure how to do this, but will google...

Collaborator | Level 10
You can log into your Dropbox account online and then under the settings you can opt in to the beta program, there should be a place in there to download the latest beta.

Explorer | Level 4

I am seeing the same problem that has been described on here numerous times

I have the beta of the new desktop application and still files with no content are showing up as used space

Correct me if I am wrong Dropbox, but I assume that the whole value of this actively promoted utility is to do the opposite?

Will you please either correct it or drop the advertisement of this with mac OSX as it clearly is not fit for purpose 

Explorer | Level 4

Have you actually read what the problem is?

We know that this is happening and the disk is not physically being used up but the issue is that no-one seems to be able to tell the mac HD that!

There is no use having the file taking up no space if the computer thinks it is - this has been obvious since the first of the 55 pages of the discussion a year ago but still there is no solution to what seems a fairly trivial issue!

I cannot use drop box at the moment because of this so what do you suggest I do, cancel my subscription or wait for an indeterminate time for a solution.

What is most worrying is that the new software updae does not fix it and who knows when the next one will be!

Anyone been fired because of this yet?  If any of the other companies had messed up this big it would have been on the tech news but you guys are getting away with it for some reason.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
816 Replies
682 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post