Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

Explorer | Level 4

Quick update from my side: I opted into the proposed program three weeks ago, and have received a confirmation this week that I had been enrolled.

I got asked to relink my computer to dropbox, which I did over night - I did hesitate for a day to do it. The problem seems to have been solved (for now). From the last couple of posts, I saw that some people are worried about modifications of dates; I cannot confirm this. For me, time stamps have not been changed by the program. 

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

Hi all,

Just chiming in to confirm that like @tschumpel, I have not had any problems with time stamps being modified after opting in to the zero size placeholders early access program, and size is now correctly reflected throughout the macOS both on Mojave and now on Catalina.

Joonas

Re: Smart Sync on Mac Isn't Freeing Up Storage Space

Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

Hi @Moabdi,

Have you noticed the zero size placeholder early access program? There's instructions on how to request to be opted in here. This resolved the issue for me.

Joonas

Re: Smart Sync on Mac Isn't Freeing Up Storage Space

New member | Level 2
Yes I found it afterwards.

I emailed support and waiting for response

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Helpful | Level 6

I have this problem What is that actual point of Dropbox if offline files still take up space on my Mac??????????? It would work if Dropbox sent you 3TB hard drive when you upgrade hahahaha (going out of my mind trying to deal with Dropbox Support) #itsjustabackupcopyofyourmachine #Actualfraud.  Reviews of smartsync are obivously not going beyond their hard drive space limit and not noticing this. I wish someone with some clout would call it out publicly. Get a lawsuit for money back for all. 

So...

I'm testing Onedrive as they have 'Files on Demand' which is the same except not a massive lie ( I actually read a post from a Onedrive user showing that Dropbox told them Onedrive files are causing problems with Dropbox integration because their Onedrive FilesonDemand files are zero kb aliases.... errrr... yes... that's right... that's what it's supposed to be doing and what Dropbox told us they were doing... but they lied to us and they know it... and now that my hard drive is full I discovered it for myself!).

Icloud does it automatically... so you can't 'smart sync' yourself... it just uploads files you haven't used much to the cloud and/or makes sure your hard drive has enough space to operate... limiting yes... but actually thinking about it, that's actually what I want it to do... so maybe it's genius and would save me time doing that organisation myself.

Which ever of those two services works best has my money (well Onedrive already has that to be fair). 

If there's a service that allows you to see your jpeg thumbnails for files not stored locally, I will have your babies... seriously if anyone has read this far and knows of a services that allows that let me know. Onedrive shows icon previews (even for RAW files!) which is better than nothing/Dropbox. Haven't worked out what icloud does yet as having to wait for it to upload a jpeg.

Dropbox has agreed to give me my money back instead of a fix to an ongoing synching problems (which has cause my files to be a mess and with lots of duplicate files), thumbnail problems and my complaint about 'smart sync' being pointless.

No mention from them of a Zero Byte beta for me interestingly (I'm a Pro user btw). I guess it doesn't work. It's been two weeks of discussions with them.. 'escalated to highest priority'. 

No solution (other than one that made things worse and now I have duplicate files and filing system and it has consequently doubled storage size / and workload when I come to going through everything to organise again). Oh and the money back isn't for the last year... it's for the year in advance I just paid.. so they would leave me with the Basic account to try and sort all this mess out via my browser... absolutely disgusting

Support ticket #9794445 if anyone should care enough to take some action. 

Exasperated, I tell you. First time I've ever complained publicly about a service.  

Hard Drive Space

New member | Level 2

I have a MacBook. I used to use Selective Sync and only had a few folders synced on my laptop. This left me with about 60 gigs of space. I wanted more space so I chose Smart Sync for all of my files, thinking this would free up my hard drive. It did the opposite. My hard drive is now full. I used to have about 60 gigs of space left, now I have less than 2 gigs. How do i fix this?

Re: Hard Drive Space

Dropboxer

Hello @jfarme02 - welcome to our Community!

I have moved your post under this thread as it echoes the issue that the OP is describing and we've extensively discussed about it and what you can do to tackle this.

At your earliest convenience, please take a look at the comments of this thread and let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks so much!

@thisischristian : Apologies for any inconvenience caused. For what it's worth, I passed your comments on to the agent handling your ticket so we can have all the relevant info under one place - thanks for providing your ticket's ID.

Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

care to share with me 'what you can do to tackle this.'?

Because I don't find an answer here and the 'advanced technical support' team haven't managed to come up with anything in 2 weeks.

Dropboxer

The solution would be to ask to be enrolled to our "Zero Size Placeholders" program @thisischristian

Since you have an open ticket with our Advanced team, please make sure to ask for it directly. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

I hate to be confrontational, but can you explain to me what the point of smart-sync is/was up until this solution came about? 

From what users see, it just made files unavailable offline whilst still taking up the full space of the files. Bizarre, huh? Can you see the frustration of upgrading my account to use this utterly useless feature? 

It's ok to admit it was mis-sold, as long as we're compensated. We all make mistakes. I'd be more inclined to stick with Dropbox if you just came clean, compensated and fixed things going forward...  if you did all that I'd be happy to work with you (if only I could get sync/bad file checker to actually work) - although the fact it was made a feature in the first place is quite frankly incredible. Why hasn't this zero-byte fix rolled out to everybody ASAP with an apology?

Thanks,

Christian

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart Sync still taking up local space
665 Replies
554 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post