cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync menu missing on Mac

Smart sync menu missing on Mac

PD88
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I use smart sync on my work laptop (Windows) without no problem.

On my personal Mac computer I cannot get it to work. When I right-click the dropbox folders I wish to smart sync, no dropbox options show up, and also not the smart sync one:/

• I am the admin of my mac computer.
  • I have enabled smart sync on my online account (and it works on my work computer)
  • I have checked Settings-> Security and Privacy on my Mac and there is no Dropbox button to allow anything - the page is just blank.

Any suggestions for next steps?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

PD88
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Daphne 

Thanks for getting back to me.

I somehow managed to fix it:)

After ensuring I had enabled smart sync on my online account, I went into the dropbpox icon at the top menu bar -> Preferences -> Sync -> and set the smart sync to "Online only". Now the option to smart sync is showing up on my folders.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @PD88,

As a first step, do you see this issue persist if you restart your Mac device? Restarting the computer will reload the Dropbox visual elements as well as refresh the Finder window.

If the issue persists, can you check that the desktop app is indeed running on your Mac device since you're not seeing any Dropbox related options. You should see the Dropbox icon in your menu bar when the app is running, if you already see it there then please let me know what the sync status is showing.

Finally, are you using a third-party file browser or the native Finder window when you're viewing your files?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PD88
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Daphne 

Thanks for getting back to me.

I somehow managed to fix it:)

After ensuring I had enabled smart sync on my online account, I went into the dropbpox icon at the top menu bar -> Preferences -> Sync -> and set the smart sync to "Online only". Now the option to smart sync is showing up on my folders.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @PD88,

I'm glad to hear that everything is working correctly for you now! It does seem a little strange that the steps you mentioned seemed to resolve the issue, since this setting is to have new files that sync to your desktop set automatically as online only. :thinking:

I really appreciate you getting back to me with your update though, and hope you have a great day ahead.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PD88
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Daphne 

Yes I agree. That should not have made the difference. But after that, and waiting like 2 hours, the option suddenly showed up when I right-clicked my folders.

I also did disable-enable the smart sync on my account online, maybe that promted it to work.

Before it would not sync because my laptop did not have enough storage space for my dropbox because all files were being stored locally so I kept getting an error message. Now it is perfectly synced, because all the files are set to online only.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @PD88,

Perhaps it could have been due to your desktop app not being able to sync due to space issues, this is something I believe I've seen happen before. Unfortunately we can't say for sure that this was the case, but it helps to give some additional context for those who might have the same issue and be reading through this thread.

If you do notice the issue crop up again with not being able to see any Dropbox options in the right click menu then please don't hesitate to give me a nudge here.

Have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Thomas C. G.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Daphne

I'm in exactly the same situation and desperately looking for a solution... Any chance to hear that this issue has been solved and there's a solution on how to fix it?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Have you tried whats already been suggested/marked as a solution @Thomas C. G. ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Thomas C. G.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I did, but it didn't help. In the meantime I've solved the problem by deleting the content of ~/.dropbox folder. After a re-install of Dropbox app everything works fine now!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Thomas C. G. Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    PD88 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?