Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Smart sync turned off, but files are remaining as cloud only

Explorer | Level 4

Context:  I use my laptop on the bus and the train. No Wifi there.  So I need all files that I put into DropBox on any computer to be downloaded to the hard drive of my laptop.

My method:  I turned OFF Smart Sync on the laptop.  I have "new files" checked as "local"  I have "all folders" checked under selective sync.

Problem: I create a file on (or download a file to) my desktop.  This is at home, in Wifi.  I check the laptop -- it *shows* those files, but they are only in the cloud. When I check on the bus, the files are not accessible.

I have Windows 10 on both machines.

What am I doing wrong?  Or is this a glitch (or "feature" I don't want) in DropBox

11 Replies

Re: Smart Sync turned off but doesn't work right

Dropboxer

Hey @EdG2, thanks for checking in with us!

I'd be more than happy to help look into this, but I'll need to confirm a few things, such as:

• Is the folder you've added the new files in synced as online-only on your laptop by any chance?
  • Could you also send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the Sync tab from your desktop app's Preferences that you've applied on your laptop?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, Lucil:

No, the folder I use (and *all* my folders on the laptop) are intended to be local files. If I right click on any of the other files, and check sync status, the green "local" box is checked.

I attach a double screenshot, showing the sync tab and the selective sync list.

EdSync tab.pngSync tab (1).png

Explorer | Level 4

By the way, @Lusil the problem appears to be specific to the laptop, if that helps.

When I create a file *on* the laptop, it immediately syncs as a local file to the desktop. But when I create a file on the desktop, it is treated as cloud on the laptop. Both are set up in exactly the same way.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info, @EdG2!

Hmm. thinking face Since you want all your content to available locally, let's try something different:

1. On your laptop, right-click on the Dropbox folder itself.
  2. Select local from the Smart Sync option. 
  3. Add a new file from your other computer.
  4. Check how it syncs to your laptop. 

Let me know the results!

PS. I've removed some personal details included in your screenshots for privacy purposes as per our Community Guidelines

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Lusil:

This seems to have worked!  Interestingly, when I first right clicked on the DB folder, it had the green circle with check box for local visible, but there was no "check" in the empty space to the right.  That's a bit confusing -- most people would assume that if the green local is visible and on top, with no check elsewhere, then it was operative.  Evidently not.  When I actually clicked the "local" button, it inserted a check in the space to the right.  So now when I tested two files and a folder from my PC (new creations)  all became local files on the laptop.  Cool! 

But DB is making this a bit harder than it should be -- I already told it to turn SS off. Making files local should then be the automatic default.

Thanks for cleaning up my image. I assumed personal meant identifying or something like a visible email address from a friend -- didn't realize that simple folder names would be considered personal details.

Ed

Explorer | Level 4

By the way, I wanted to accept your last message as the solution, but the forum seems to be showing an earlier one instead. Not sure why.

Dropboxer

Glad to have helped, Ed! grinning face with smiling eyes And no worries, I removed the initial post as an Accepted Solution and marked the latter. 

If there's anything else we can assist with in the future or you have any other questions, just give us a shout. In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 4

Is it possible to change the subject as well?  In retrospect, I should have said, "Smart sync turned off, but files are remaining as cloud only" or something like that. My original wording is too ambiguous about the problem for other people to find this discussion.

Dropboxer

No worries, I got your back. winking face

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Smart sync turned off, but files are remaining as cloud only
11 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post