Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

SmartSync - Automatically Becoming "Online-Only"

New member | Level 2

Is there a way to prevent files from becoming marked online-only automatically if they are not edited every few months?  I want to mark a couple of large directories as online-only but don't want anything else to become online-only automatically.

I commonly work on isolated networks which have no Internet access.  I have lots of PDF manuals and previous projects that I occasionally use for reference while on the isolated networks but don't edit.  If they become online-only then I would be forced to find an Internet connection to access the files which is not workable.

3 Replies

Re: SmartSync - Automatically Becoming "Online-Only"

Dropboxer
Hey @Byar, great question; I’d happily discuss that with you & help you choose the option that suits your needs best! 

For starters, it would be worth noting that the feature can be switched On/Off through the Sync Preferences Arrows Counter Clock on your desktop, so if you feel that it isn’t the right time to enable that, then you can simply turn it off temporarily. From there, it should be easy to make your files available for Offline viewing by right-clicking on them & choosing Local White check mark from the Smart Sync menu, in order to continue working with them while you’re not connected to a network. 

Hopefully this points you towards the right direction & please do let me know my advice works for you in your next post whenever you have some spare time. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I see that I misunderstood how it worked.  I thought I had to enable the Auto SmartSync to use SmartSync at all.

I understand it now.  Thanks for the help.

Dropboxer

Ah, pleased we got this sorted together @Byar; now that you know where you can find us, feel free to ping us back for more Dropbox ☁️ tips in the future. Happy syncing until then & have a wonderful Friday ahead! 🤓

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

SmartSync - Automatically Becoming "Online-Only"
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution