cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

SmartSync "online only" files are all downloaded and do not revert back

Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I started using SmartSync on my devices and have noticed these unexpected behaviours:

1. when I create "online only" files (ore set "online only" to existing files) they are immediately reverted to "Local". After looking in the documentation, I understood it is due to antivirus that I have to de-activate when uploading/creating files. Bad, but slightly acceptable.

2. VERY ANNOYING: when I open a file, it is marked as "Local" and needs disk space and will never automatically revert back to "Online only" (even with disabled antivirus).

This is critical, because if I have a image gallery as "online only" I cannot watch it "online" but every single image I open is definetely downloaded locally and I have to manually revert each file to "Online only".

Is there anything I am missing or is this the correct behaviour?

4 Replies

Rif.: SmartSync "online only" files are all downloaded and do not revert back

Explorer | Level 4

Any advice?

Super User II

Hi

Dropbox does not turn files back to Online Only as it does not know when you've finished with them. So, unfortunately, there is no work around (or plans to change it that I'm aware of) that will auto upload files after you've finished with them. You need to do it yourself. You should be able to do it at directory level, however.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Mark for clarification.

So, I think that with these settings the SmartSync feature is completely useless, because I have to manually take care to revert everything everytime.

And if, for any reason, a software would access the "Online only" folder, I will have my hard disk completely full without notice.

This is totally different from what advertised by drobox.

Highlighted

Super User II

Dropbox say the reason they dont auto turn back to online only is they dont know if you are going to use them again tomorrow/ later that day and doing so would delay things. Its also not really a piece of softwares decision to delete data from your devices (which is what would be happening).

In terms of if another application touches the files they download thats the same across all of the programs that do this (iCloud/OneDrive etc.) and thats because they 'update' data within the files (meta data usually) or they want to see the files. Its dead easy to work around though and just tell the programs to ignore Dropbox and for antivirus only scan on opening etc. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

SmartSync "online only" files are all downloaded and do not revert back
4 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey