Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Highlighted

SmartSync settings are being ignored

Helpful | Level 5

We have our preferances in the SmartSync area set to start: online-only so that all new files/folders sync as online only but all of a sudden everything is syncing local across all of our user accounts. We have a business account and this is happening for everyone all of a sudden. Is it a bug? We want all new files/folders to sync as online only as they were before.

9 Replies

Re: SmartSync settings are being ignored

Dropboxer

Hey there @AnnMarie V. - sorry to hear that!

Would it be OK if I reached out to you via email to the address you use for your forum's profile to have a more in depth look into this with all of our tools available?

In the meantime, just keep in mind that many processes on your machines look at files that you may have not manually opened and in order to fulfill these requests from these processes Dropbox syncs the files. Examples of this include:

• Backup services
  • Antivirus
  • Recently used file lists
  • Third party applications that monitor files in general

If a file has been synced locally that you would prefer to have online-only, you can simply right click on it and select online-only from the Smart Sync menu.

Please note that if there are apps or services that constantly or persistently look at your files, your files may come back following the behavior described above if you didn't recall them manually. If this is the case, I'd suggest you to test by temporarily quitting or disabling applications systematically until you see that the issue is resolved. The last application that you closed when the issue no longer occurred may be the one performing this action. 

If the application that is inadvertently converting these online-only files to local files is an antivirus application, please let us know the name and version of the specific application as well as details about the specific interaction you are seeing providing screenshots so we can investigate further if needed. 

In some cases, we're able to detect the processes that may open files and sync them locally within your Dropbox folder without your manual interaction. When we do that, we may be able to improve the behavior of syncing and prevent this from happening in the future, but not in all cases. This is why we also request your help so please let me know if I can contact you directly and we'll take it from there Ann Marie. 

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation and happy November.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Hello Walter,

Sure thing. You can contact me via the email address I have linked to my account. This is a recent problem. We've had this Dropbox account for our office for quite a while and the selective sync regarding new files/folders has been working just fine until a few days ago. Not sure if it was an update that is causing the issue or not but I have not installed any new software on my computer and my anti-virus is the same as it has been for quite some time. It is also happening on other computers here at the office, which are linked to the same business account under a different user name. Just an FYI for a little more detail. My best guess is that it was a recent Windows 10 update or Dropbox app update that is causing the problem but I am not sure.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the response @AnnMarie V. - how are you today?

I have gone ahead and reached out to work on this internally with all of my tools available. Take a look at your email's inbox for my message and we'll take it from there.

In the meantime, please allow me to clarify that our Smart Sync feature is not to be confused with Selective Sync feature as they're two different options through our desktop app with Smart Sync being available to our Professional and Business plans while Selective sync is available to all of our current plans and users. 

More information
Smart Sync is a feature which lets users seamlessly access all of the content in their Dropbox from their desktop, without worrying about local hard disk constraints. For more information see the following Help Center article: 
Another option for addressing hard disk constraints is to use Selective Sync, which is available to all Dropbox users. This feature lets users to choose the content they sync locally, which can help free up hard disk space. 

In any case, let's have a look into this together when you get the chance. Until then, have a lovely day!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi There, we're having a frustrating time with selective sync as well.

Each time we send a computer away to be fixed, we take a backup but when we restore, Dropbox only offers two options, all files saved locally or all files on dropbox.

We then have to set sync preferences on EVERY SINGLE FILE. And if we don't, we'll inevitably end up on a plane (or somewhere with bad internet) without the files we need.

How do we get Dropbox to remember selective sync prefs?

Dropboxer

As there isn't an in-app option to do this when relinking your devices, I'd suggest taking a screenshot of your selective sync settings prior to sending the machines to be fixed @Ben S.31.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions. 

Walter

Explorer | Level 3

OK but that would require 100s of screenshots and is not practical, especially since this happens whenever you login - even if Dropbox asks you to re-login for security reasons.

Would it be possible instead, to fully appreciate how mind-numbing this is and pass on to the people who make decisions that Dropbox could be less frustrating and more awesome?

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back in touch and providing your feedback about this Ben - I appreciate it.

The team are always looking for users' input when creating the next version of the Dropbox app so I will make sure your comments are passed along to our dev team for their consideration. 

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with in the meantime. 

PS: If by re-login you mean re-linking the device, this is expected and normal. If you see this behavior upon each reboot of your device(s), please reach out to our Support team so we can investigate further: https://www.dropbox.com/support

Walter

Explorer | Level 3

By re-logging in I mean that after enabling 2-factor authentication and changing my password, I was asked to re-login which reset all my smart-sync prefs - something I’ll avoid in future.

In fact, I believe I did this as a result of a Dropbox email suggesting I make my account more secure.

It’s a mistake to wipe all our preferences just for making our accounts more secure - right? We shouldn’t have a painful experience around security for obvious reasons.

Dropboxer

As you're changing your account's settings, this is considered as a re-link Ben.

That being said, I'll pass your comments on to the relevant teams to make them aware of this and in the hopes that this can be amended somehow in the future - thank you for your extensive feedback on this one!

If there's anything else you'd like to add in the meantime, do let me know please!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

SmartSync settings are being ignored
9 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post