Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Spinning wheel when browsing files in and application

New member | Level 2

Since we moved to our business dbox account and I've begun using smart sync, I've noticed I get the spinning wheel of death while browsing for files within an app. 

To me, it appears that when I browse for files from within an app, it attempts to sync down some of the files contained within a folder that I am browsing, which is why I get the temporary wheel. I know this because I see notifications popping up in my taskbar that files are being downloaded.

While this typically resolves itself with a few seconds or minutes, this is something that needs to be addressed, as it significantly slows down my production.

Other than syncing all my files to local setup, what are my options here? It happens on all my computers ( I have 6 macs)

7 Replies

Re: Spinning wheel when browsing files in and application

Dropboxer
Hey there @rhmedia,

Would you be able to provide us a little more info here on the situation? Such as which app you are using when “browsing” for files results in smart synced online only files syncing locally. 

Also, when you are browsing the files to open, do you see a preview of the files or do they appear in the “browsing” window as they would in your Finder window? Any screenshots you could provide (excluding any personal info) that might help illustrate the issue would be appreciated.

Finally, do you see files syncing locally only when you are attempting to browse the Dropbox folder? Many processes on your machine look at files that you may not have manually opened and in order to fulfill these requests from these processes Dropbox syncs the files. This could include some third-party apps such as back up services and antivirus software.

Looking forward to hearing back from you - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne,

I captured a quick video of whats happening. Unfortunately it doesn't show the wheel of death, but a regular pointer, but I promise that is what I am seeing when I gesture at the popup:

[shared link removed by moderator]

Dropboxer
Hey again @rhmedia,

Thanks for sharing that video, I’ve removed the shared link just as a precaution so that it doesn’t generate too much traffic since this is a public forum.

Just to clarify something too, is it only one file that is downloaded when browsing? Or does it depend on how long you have the window open to how many files are recalled? Does this only happen when browsing files or randomly when doing other tasks on your computer too? 

When files are recalled locally unexpectedly, it is due to a program trying to read the file, so in requesting access to the file it is synced locally. If we can pinpoint exactly which program it is recalling the file it will be very useful. 

Just in case it isn’t actually the program you are using when browsing files, if you were to close down all other applications from your Activity monitor, do you still see files being recalled when the browsing window is open? Could you try temporarily pausing any anti-virus or back up and try browsing files again.

I look forward to your reply - Cheers!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne,

I believe the longer the window is open, the more files begin to download. It doesn't happen in a normal finder window, but only when I am browsing, saving, and navigating from within an app. 

I see it in several apps, but the ones I use the most are the Adobe Creative Cloud applications - video editing(premiere), photoshop, etc. I'll try in some other apps and see if happens there as well.

I don't have any antivirus or backups running. Thanks!

Dropboxer
Thanks for that extra info there @rhmedia!

To investigate a little further, would you mind if I reach out through our Support channel to the email address associated with your Community profile? This will allow me access to more tools than I have available here.

Otherwise, if you’ve already submitted a Support ticket with our team, please feel free to let me know the ticket reference number (eg. #1234567) and I can follow up there with the info you’ve provided here.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne

New member | Level 2

Sure, please do whatever you need. 

I have not submitted a ticket yet.

Thanks for your help.

Dropboxer
I’ve reached out to your email address @rhmedia, please check your inbox at your earliest convenience. 

Please let me know in reply to the email that you received this communication - Thanks!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Spinning wheel when browsing files in and application
7 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post