Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Starting Smart Sync on folders not downloaded

Helpful | Level 6

I have had Dropbox for years, and have used it as storage rather than syncing.  I have a lot of files and folders online that I don't need on my computer, so I have always just gone online and downloaded it from the browser to get them on my computer.  My question is regarding Smart Sync.

Do I have to have the files and folders already on my computer before marking them as online only so I can have the images of them on my computer instead of having to brows online to see if I have the file?

I imaging downloading my entire Dropbox folder and then selecting which folders and files are online only, and then they are deleted from my computer but the "ghost" of them remain so I can see what I have.

Am I wrong?  And if I am, what do I do to make all those files and folder show up on my computer but stay online?

2 Replies

Re: Starting Smart Sync on folders not downloaded

Super User II

I'm afraid the only way to set files and folders to online only is if they are already present on your machine. So, you will need to remove any Selective Sync on them to get them to download and then put Smart Sync on.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Starting Smart Sync on folders not downloaded

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, that's what I thought.  I selected all the folders that I know I would like to change and have them now downloading.  I figured that while I had them all on my computer I could organize them better, delete duplicate files and generally clean everything up.  Then just set them back to online only.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Starting Smart Sync on folders not downloaded
2 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post