Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Stuck "Syncing 347 files" for weeks

Explorer | Level 4

MacOS. Been using Dropbox for years and years just fine. It rocks.

But recently, the Dropbox client on one particular Mac has been stuck saying "Syncing 347 files" for ages and ages.

This doesn't happen on the 2 other Macs I have access to at work (though they only have a partial sync set up).

I've been doing photo reorganisation recently (tagging, moving) so there's been quite a bit of churn.

As far as I can tell everything is synced (but I don't have the disk space or time to find out for sure). And I think changes (coming in from the other Macs) are reaching this one OK.

I have no idea which particular files it's stuck on, or what's wrong with them.

I tried:

- uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox ->"Syncing 347 files" as soon as I launched (I guess its prior state was preseved in ~/.dropbox)

- uninstalling Dropbox, moving ~/.dropbox to ~/.dropbox.NO, reinstalling Dropbox. This definitely got it thinking harder (syncing 512313 files etc... ) but I came back the next day to see "Syncing 347 files" again.

Any idea how I can find out which files it's having trouble with, or how I fix this? Is there some logging I can enable or look at?

Thanks

Rob.

11 Replies

Re: Stuck "Syncing 347 files" for weeks

Super User II

You dont happen to use symlinks at all do you?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

I use them here and there, as I have been for years. Why, did handling of them recently change?

Dropboxer
Hey Rob (@rangelife), please bear in mind that Dropbox doesn’t work well with Symlinks. Even if they didn’t cause you any trouble for a certain period of time, I’d recommend avoiding them, as you may be at additional risk for unusual behavior or even data loss. Of course, the final decision is always up to you however it would be worth noting that our main goal is to ensure that all your content is fully updated & we maintain your file continuity. 

I hope that this is-even slightly helpful to you & please do let me know on this discussion if you have further questions about any of the above. Wishing you a wonderful weekend until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4
I checked and there are no symlinks inside my Dropbox folder on any of my machines. The exact same problem remains. How do I find out which 347 files are stuck?

Dropboxer
Thanks for pinging me back here Rob (rangelife); let me dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on your current setup through our Official Support channel. So as to look into the matter having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I'm having this same problem ... stuck at 12,242 files for last week or so. Have tried all the tricks. Did yours get solved?

New member | Level 2

I have resolved this log into your dropbox select files on the left just do it it normall defaults to another folder.

Then select show delete files on the right, now scroll down look for a hidden folder called dropbox.cache expand this folder and everything in there once it has been deleted depending how much data it is mine took a day i have 1tb and then everything started syncing

understand this is old cache stored there and its only cache of syncs once delete all computers mac and windows and mobile devices start working.

again you will be prompted with this will delete forever.

There is also another solution try this first and i can response with another solution that has worked.

Thanks

[removed for security purposes]

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the support.

I stopped the Dropbox app, deleted the .dropbox.cache folder then restarted the app... Back to "Syncing 347 files" again.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the nudge @rangelife! I’m unsure if you had received my last message back in March, as I haven’t received a reply on our system. If this has reached your end, I’m wondering what were the results of my recommendations. Please let me know & we’ll take it from there! 

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Stuck "Syncing 347 files" for weeks
11 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post