cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

Sync'ed Online only Folders have files still showing up as on local computer hard drive

New member | Level 2

I've just been trying to clear hard disk stoareg space on my Mac, and realised that the majority of files taking up space were from dropbox. After doing a few google searches, I found the method to click on the dropbox icon on my mac and choose which folders showed up online only by deselecting the rest that I didn't want stored on my Mac.

I've deselected most of the foldes, however individual files from them are still showing up on my Mac when I do an "all files" search for the ones taking up the most space.

Should I have gone through every single dropbox file individually and selected "online only" prior to making the folder that the file is in online only through the sync option? If so, is there a fast way to select all the files and make them online only? I can't even work out how to do this from the finder on my Mac when I have the dropbox folder on it opened. And I can't see where to do it by signing into dropbox.com for each individual file

1 Reply

Re: Sync'ed Online only Folders have files still showing up as on local computer hard drive

Dropboxer

Hi there @SallyH, thanks for checking in with us. 

I'd be more than happy to help with this, I'll just need a bit more info to make sure that we're on the same page. For example:

• Are you using Smart Sync or selective sync to save space on your hard drive?
  • What do you see when you hover over your Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Sync'ed Online only Folders have files still showing up as on local computer hard drive
1 Reply
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post