Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Sync for Mac creating new documents when opened in MS Word on Mac

New member | Level 2

I have DropBox Sync downloaded onto my Mac so that I can browse like a normal file folder. When I double click to open a .doc or .docx file within the dropbox folder on my mac, it opens it using my Microsoft Word program on my Mac, not on the dropbox word online program. When I hit CMD + S to save the file, it wants to save it as some new file with a weird name such as 0a93kskbo92093nlskdhf instead of saving over the filename I have already chosen. 

How can I tell dropbox/word to save over the current version of the file on my dropbox folder?

2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Sync for Mac creating new documents when opened in MS Word on Mac

Super User

Hey @keduncan3, Just to see if the problem is really related to Dropbox: can you please quit the Dropbox desktop app, then open the file in Office app, and see if the problem persists? 

Re: Sync for Mac creating new documents when opened in MS Word on Mac

Super User II

It sounds to me like you've downloaded the smartphone/tablet version of the software from an app store rather than www.dropbox.com/downloading

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Sync for Mac creating new documents when opened in MS Word on Mac
2 Replies
0 Likes