Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Sync status continually shows "connecting" (can't sync files)

New member | Level 2

I've been using Dropbox for a number of years with my small team. I have my dropbox files sync to three Mac OS computers. I always mount my dropbox folder to an external hardrive to accomodate the space I need. 

Recently my external hard drive failed to mount on start-up. The hard drive is fine and the dropbox files are still stored locally on this hard-drive. 

When I went to relink my dropbox to the external (following the prompt that dropbox provides), it wanted to re-sync everything from scratch (1.5TB of content).

My two other computers seem to be syncing just fine, but my main computer seems to have troubles re-establishing this connection.  

In the past, I've simply re-linked the folder location,  it looked for changes and was fine. This time however it doesn't seem to working at all. 

I've double check the folder location. Quit and re-launched Dropbox. Restarted my computer. Ran updates on my computer. Uninstalled and reinstalled Dropox from scratch. I've tried slective sync to reduce the files I'm syncing below 500K (even though I'm not trying to resynce just reestablish the link to existign files).

I've notice the syncing status constantly change from "checking for changes" at whoch point the bedge in my tool bar is black,  to "connecting" at which point the icon turns a light gray.  

Anyone have any advice for how to restablish the link to my existing files (dropbox folder) on my external harddrive?  

3 Replies

Re: Sync status continually shows "connecting" (can't sync files)

Dropboxer

Hi there @TylerT

Hmm. thinking face Could it be that there's a security setting or a third party app that's hindering the syncing process of the desktop app?

Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and ensure that you have configured your firewall to work with Dropbox - maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil, Thanks for your prompt response. My firewall is down atm (but is set to allow a connection from Dropbox). I also don't use any anti virus  software (aside from common sense).

Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that for me, @TylerT

You mention in your initial post that you've tried reinstalling the desktop app, but could you also give an advanced reinstall a try? 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Sync status continually shows "connecting" (can't sync files)
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post